Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter study and using probes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to conduct a parameter study and I want to measure the pressure in my model at certain points by using probes. The problem I have in the moment is that all the probes return NaN.

So, I defined a parameter I want to change under the global definitions node and I used this parameter in the parametric sweep node (under study). Furthermore I chose accumulated probe table, use all probes and keep solutions in memory: only last. I also created a frequency domain step (under study) in which I defined the frequencies I want to calculate. The only way that the probes do not return NaN is to choose store fields in output: all. But this also creates a field output for every frequency I investigate which takes too much storage at the cluster we use. Does anybody know how to only obtain the probe values?

When I am using no parameteric sweep node and only the frequency domain node and under this I choose store fields in output: for selections (which I do not have), I only get the probe results without the field output and the result is not NaN but a compley number, which I want to have. So, why does it work here but not when using the parametric sweep node...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Peter

2 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2017, 6:28 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Peter Nermer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 24, 2017, 5:57 a.m. EST
I have the same Problem,
My domain-probe-table Returns "NaN" for every time-step.
The model solves for 10 000 seconds.
After the calculation is done the model can not be saved due to not enough RAM - could that be connected to that Problem?

When I run the same model with 3000 seconds I get proper results in the domain-probe-table (and I can save the model after done calculation).

Best regards,
Tina Maake
I have the same Problem, My domain-probe-table Returns "NaN" for every time-step. The model solves for 10 000 seconds. After the calculation is done the model can not be saved due to not enough RAM - could that be connected to that Problem? When I run the same model with 3000 seconds I get proper results in the domain-probe-table (and I can save the model after done calculation). Best regards, Tina Maake

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 24, 2017, 6:28 a.m. EST
I made a mistake and therefore got NaN (Not a Number). I defined my Probing-"Point" out of my calculating-area (because I forgot a minus). Now I get results for every probing-timestep.
I made a mistake and therefore got NaN (Not a Number). I defined my Probing-"Point" out of my calculating-area (because I forgot a minus). Now I get results for every probing-timestep.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.