Model Exchange

Parallel plate capacitor COMSOL 4.0

Michal Radziwon, Syddansk Universitet

This example show the electrostatic potential and electric fields in parallel plate capacitor with air gap.
Model by Michal Jedrzej Radziwon

Other Entries by This Contributor

User Comments

Bui Chien
Sep 19, 2012 at 8:12am UTC

Hi,
can you tell me how to build this model with AC voltage?

POONAM
Sep 13, 2010 at 9:35am UTC

file contains no model.

Lillie Fischer
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:11pm UTC

Describes an experiment designed to measure the forces between charged parallel plates, and determines the relationship among the effective electrode area, the measured capacitance values, and the electrode spacing of a parallel plate capacitor. - Lillie, <a href="http://www.dallascitycpr.com"> CPR Certification Dallas</a>

Richard Garner
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:39am UTC

Tried to run model, but Comsol requests Plasma Module, which I don't have.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:43am UTC

1) The uploaded model is created in COMSOL 4.0a and as such it must be opened with COMSOL 4.0a or later.
2) The model requires the AC/DC or Plasma module.

Abdul Rehman Javed
Feb 13, 2011 at 12:41am UTC

Hi,
In this example you are using a Copper plate with a relative permittivity of 1 while Copper and all other metals have a complex (rather purely imaginary dielectric constants). Please clear this dilemma for me as I am stuck in this for the last one month or so. In forums they suggest some solutions that are not relevant to my case e.g. "http://www.comsol.nl/community/forums/general/thread/6809/"
On this forum, I have posted a comment query with explanation of the problem that I am trying to solve. I am actually solving an electrostatic induction problem (no involvement of any frequency) while the texts that I have read say that the complex dielectric constant is a function of frequency. Please, reply to my query.

moran bin nun
Feb 24, 2011 at 7:34am UTC

Hellow,
I do have comsol 4 and I still can't open this model.
It says it has no model
DO you have any suggestions?
Moran

Koray Palazoglu
Mar 9, 2012 at 1:42pm UTC

This example was really helpful. I'm trying to find out how to go about modeling the heating of a dielectric in between the electrodes. I would appreciate any suggestion. Thank you.

Lillie Fischer
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:10pm UTC

Comment removed by Lillie Fischer.

Gaetano L'Episcopo
Oct 26, 2012 at 2:16pm UTC

Comment removed by Gaetano L'Episcopo.

Jiujiang Wang
Jan 9, 2013 at 9:23am UTC

Thanks for sharing.

Sanjoy Nandi
May 25, 2013 at 2:23am UTC

Does any one know how to include surface roughness in the plates? I am trying to same simulation with surface roughness

Login to comment on this entry.