Acoustic-Structure interaction w/o Structure and Acoustics Modules [3.5a]

Topics: no topics

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   2 Replies   Last post: October 30, 2009 6:16am UTC
Matthias Richwin

Matthias Richwin

October 28, 2009 5:57am UTC

Acoustic-Structure interaction w/o Structure and Acoustics Modules [3.5a]

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to model acoustic-structure interaction using the base module only (since I don't have the structure and acoustics modules available at this time). I would like to see eigenmodes of a solid and how the corresponding sound radiates away. How would you do it?

Best regards
Matthias

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Dustin Carr

Dustin Carr

October 28, 2009 3:52pm UTC in response to Matthias Richwin

Re: Acoustic-Structure interaction w/o Structure and Acoustics Modules [3.5a]

Yes, I did this before the Acoustics Module existed. Your biggest challenge is going to be the boundary conditions, since omnidirectional radiation is difficult to model without perfectly matched layers (PMLs).

I did pretty well using the radiation boundary condition on a cylindrical or spherical surface.

There is an acceleration boundary condition for the acoustics. Just set this to be equal to the acceleration of the structure surface that is vibrating. Also, apply a surface load to the structure that is equal to the acoustic pressure.

Try it with some simple benchmarks (from Beranek or similar text, for instance) first, but you should be able to get pretty far.

Good luck,

Dustin

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Matthias Richwin

Matthias Richwin

October 30, 2009 6:16am UTC in response to Dustin Carr

Re: Acoustic-Structure interaction w/o Structure and Acoustics Modules [3.5a]

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

[... message is currently being edited due to brain upgrade of user ...]

Thanks a lot,
Matthias