Combining particle tracing and rotating machinery modules

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   2 Replies   Last post: April 30, 2014 5:32pm UTC
Scott Hug

Scott Hug

August 29, 2012 8:47pm UTC

Combining particle tracing and rotating machinery modules

HOw do I combine the particle tracing and rotating machinery modules so that they can run simultaneously in a study? I am attempting to study the particle trajectories in a 3-D mixer (the same mixer design that is used in COMSOL's "Baffled Mixer" model).

When I run a study using both the rotating machinery and particle tracing modules, I will get a message that says Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged..

I never get convergence when I run the teo modules at the same time, but I get convergence no problem if I run either of the modules by itself. Is there a setting I would have to change?

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Sylvana Garcia

Sylvana Garcia

May 17, 2013 6:55pm UTC in response to Scott Hug

Re: Combining particle tracing and rotating machinery modules

Hi

I am also trying to model particles in a mechanical mixer. I first solved for the velocity field and then ran the Particle Tracing Module. It worked ok for the first time steps, but the particles seemed to freeze once they reached the impeller blades. These boundaries have a bounce boundary condition, so the particles should not freeze. Any tips anyone? Has anyone managed to successfully model particles in a stirring tank?

Thank you.

Anna Koontzvitzki

Anna Koontzvitzki

April 30, 2014 5:32pm UTC in response to Sylvana Garcia

Re: Combining particle tracing and rotating machinery modules

Hi, Have you found a solution?

Rules and guidelines