Can someone help me understand this error?

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: November 16, 2012 9:15am UTC
Byron

Byron

October 11, 2012 4:36am UTC

Can someone help me understand this error?

I need help understanding the cause of the following error:

"Failed to compute elastoplastic strain variables"

I have received this error numerous times in a few different structural models where I am using soil or concrete plasticity, and I'm not sure the cause of it. I've been able to fix it by trying different meshes, solvers, loading conditions, etc. but it's kindof a "throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks" approach. I really don't know what causes it, so I don't know how to fix it. I haven't been able to find anything in the included manuals about it either. Does anyone know what the likely source of this error is and what can be done to fix it? Thanks!

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

October 11, 2012 5:34am UTC in response to Byron

Re: Can someone help me understand this error?

Hi

I have never seen that one, but I'm not usig often elastoplastic strain variables (at least no on purpose ;) But have you tried to analyse the component of the elastoplastic strain tensor in the "equations" domain and checked that your variables defining this property are really defined, for me it looks like a material property issue.

Else you have "support that might help" if you sen them your model

--
Good luck
Ivar

Mats Olsson

Mats Olsson

October 21, 2012 8:11pm UTC in response to Byron

Hi,

I had the same problem before. Normally it is that the solver can't find the initial value that is inside your yield criteria and therefor fails.
Have you tried to change the settings for the dependent variables?
I normally create a initial condition stage first with a LE material and use the stresses from that stage, that normally works well for me.

/Mats

Anders Ekerot

Anders Ekerot
COMSOL Employee
Sweden

November 16, 2012 9:15am UTC in response to Mats Olsson

We have created a Knowledgebase entry for this error message, please click the link below for further information:
www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1150/

Anders Ekerot, COMSOL

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Report Abuse

Rules and guidelines