Cauchy Stress

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   2 Replies   Last post: January 14, 2013 7:42am UTC
Jorge Bazan

Jorge Bazan

January 12, 2013 12:55am UTC

Cauchy Stress

hi
I´m modeling a plate. In the results branch I configurated a 2D plot to show "the Second Piola-Kirchhoff stress, xx component" using the expresion "plate.Sxx".
I want to know if it's possible to configurate a Cauchy stress component in the 2D plot.

Regards.

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 12, 2013 8:28pm UTC in response to Jorge Bazan

Re: Cauchy Stress

Hi

The Cauchy stress is the stress in the Eulerian representation check for the "spatial stress tensor"
The second Piola-Kirchhoff (or material) stress is in the Lagrangian representation, these are dissociated, in particular for "geometric non-linearity enabled"

Check carefully the doc and use the right Frame for your integrations (see the doc ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Henrik Sönnerlind

Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL Employee
Sweden

January 14, 2013 7:42am UTC in response to Jorge Bazan

Re: Cauchy Stress

As long as the analysis is geometrically linear, 2nd P-K and Cauchy stresses are the same.

If you have a geometrically nonlinear problem, the interpretation of a Cauchy stress would still be problematic, since it has fixed directions in space, and there would thus be stress components not aligned with the deformed plate.

Regards,
Henrik

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Report Abuse

Rules and guidelines