Stresses built up in a rotating disk

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: February 25, 2013 2:13am UTC
Shehan Haputhanthri

Shehan Haputhanthri

February 21, 2013 11:28am UTC

Stresses built up in a rotating disk

I am trying to analyze the stresses built up in in rotating disk. This disk is not subjected to any external loading. Only forces applied is centrifugal forces due to rotation.

When I try to model the problem using Structural Mechanics>Solid Mechanics (solid) from COMSOL 4.2 it allows me to enter a linear velocity as a Prescribed Velocity. But I cant enter the rotational or angular speed.

Can I implement this problem in COMSOL using this Prescribed Velocity functionality?or Is there any other way to analyze the stresses in this rotating disk.?

Thank You Very Much.

Shehan

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

February 21, 2013 5:04pm UTC in response to Shehan Haputhanthri

Re: Stresses built up in a rotating disk

Hi Shehan,

The most efficient way to calculate the stresses due to a steady-state centrifugal load is through a body load = density x omega^2 x radius. You don’t need to prescribe velocity in that case.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Shehan Haputhanthri

Shehan Haputhanthri

February 22, 2013 2:54am UTC in response to Nagi Elabbasi

Thanks Nagi for your quick reply. I did the simulation that way and got the results.

I applied the body load in the r direction (In cylindrical coordinate system). What I am not sure here is whether I should applied the loads in all three direction.

Thanks.

Nagi Elabbasi

Nagi Elabbasi
Certified Consultant
Veryst Engineering

February 25, 2013 2:13am UTC in response to Shehan Haputhanthri

If you apply the load in a cylindrical coordinate system aligned with the axis of rotation then you only need to apply a force in the radial direction (as you did).

Rules and guidelines