Particle Tracing Module - Particle-Particle Interaction and Size Exclusion

Topics: 4.3b, 4.2a

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   2 Replies   Last post: October 1, 2013 12:20pm UTC
Joseph Fricks

Joseph Fricks

June 11, 2013 12:08am UTC

Particle Tracing Module - Particle-Particle Interaction and Size Exclusion

Hey guys, I have been trying to build a model using particle tracing that will allow the particles to interact with each other, such as elastic collisions, and have size exclusion such as a small opening in the fluid path to obstruct that particle's movement.

Firstly, I am currently running 4.2a and would like to know if there is a way to get particles to interact with one another (from particle tracing); if it isn't, then is it possible in 4.3b? If it is possible, I would also appreciate the knowledge of how to do it.

Secondly, I want to have size exclusion in my model. I would like my particles, who have a diameter of 60 microns, to be obstructed by a channel that is less than the particles' diameters, e.g. a 40 micron channel. I have played around with settings, but no matter what I do the particles simply pass through it as if it wasn't there. I have a theory as to what is causing this: I believe the trajectories that the software calculates at each time step is the culprit. I believe that during the time interval from when the particle is just before the channel, to when it exits it, allows the particle to teleport through because of its already calculated trajectory. I currently have a simulation running where the time interval is in microseconds to see if that would help. I would appreciate some opinions on this please.

Thank you.

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Florian Huber

Florian Huber

October 1, 2013 11:32am UTC in response to Joseph Fricks

Re: Particle Tracing Module - Particle-Particle Interaction and Size Exclusion

Hey Joseph,

please allow me to ask if you find a solution for your problem with the size exclusion. I am interested in particle transport in thin fractures where these kind of behaviour (straining) also occurs.

All the best,
florian

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Jeff Hiller

Jeff Hiller
COMSOL Employee
USA

October 1, 2013 12:20pm UTC in response to Joseph Fricks

Re: Particle Tracing Module - Particle-Particle Interaction and Size Exclusion

Hello Joseph,
Particle-particle interaction is a capability that was added to the Particle Tracing Module at version 4.3, see www.comsol.com/products/4.3/#particletracing . However, since the forces acting on the particles must be continuously acting for all distances between particles, this may not be suitable for your modeling of collisions between particles.
Best,
Jeff

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Report Abuse

Rules and guidelines