1/2 offtopic: COMSOL and ANSYS

Topics: fea, FEA Software

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: September 10, 2010 12:32pm UTC
Kai Herbrig

Kai Herbrig

September 10, 2010 8:57am UTC

1/2 offtopic: COMSOL and ANSYS

I don't want to start a discussion about (even though, it would be interesting :) ) COMSOL vs ANSYS. But I just used google trends to have an (coarse) indicator about the importance-factor. Its quite interesting:due to the search volume index provided by google, COMSOL is gaining more and more importance in comparison to ansys (or ansys is loosing, it depends on the point of view) - but ansys is (of course) still "bigger".

I attached the regarding diagramm. :)

kind regards

Attachments:   comsol_vs_ansys.png  

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

September 10, 2010 9:29am UTC in response to Kai Herbrig

Re: 1/2 offtopic: COMSOL and ANSYS

Hi

interesting, but we should be capable of increasing the COMSOl trend too, no ?

remains the question has ANSYS locked part of their exchanges to avoid google reaching it ? or is it just a "downturn", the gradient is bad for them, but still not "good" for Comsol, the way I read it

--
Nice info
Ivar

Danial Tz

Danial Tz

September 10, 2010 11:58am UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

Apart from the downward success of Ansys, it can be due to many reasons, including their website is so 90's, bad marketing, less search engine optimization, etc. Also, one should not forget the power of social interaction Comsol guys are introducing, e.g. this modern forum and website, and finally more and more strong (and free) competitors, e.g. OpenFoam, Comsol.

At the end Ansys is a healthy old guy; they won't have the youth energy of guys like Comsol or opensource platforms. Their motto is knowledge is power, though the new wave sees it in sharing.

Thanks for sharing ;)

Kai Herbrig

Kai Herbrig

September 10, 2010 12:32pm UTC in response to Danial Tz

Hi,

yep, that is the reason why i said, that google trend is only a coarse indicator. But at least it is an indicator :)

I think the website itself has only little influence to the trend. I think the major part of the _search volume_ index are still the search requests were the words "ansys" or "comsol" are included. So i would say (only based on this figure) ansys is loosing more more interest to people, while comsol/femlab is quite stable interesting -> as a result: in comparison to ansys, comsol is becoming more attractive. :)

regards

Rules and guidelines