license error

Topics: no topics

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: February 8, 2011 7:18pm UTC
Steven Delrue

Steven Delrue

September 21, 2010 11:41am UTC

license error

Dear all,

In our research group, we have two Floating Network Licenses for COMSOL Multiphysics. With these licenses it was possible to use COMSOL Multiphysics both at the same time. Also, it was possible to have multiple COMSOL screens opened by the same user. To start COMSOL Multiphysics we logged in to our server and we started “comsol server” via an SSH session. With this command we got a port number which can be used in COMSOL Multiphysics client to connect to the server. When we wanted to open more screens of COMSOL Multiphysics, we repeated the same procedure. In that way we got different port numbers, one for each screen of COMSOL Multiphysics. Everything worked very well.

In the last few months some license problems occurred. When one user has two screens open, the second user cannot open a COMSOL screen anymore. Also, when both users have one screen open, they are not able to open a second screen. Every time we try one of those two things, a license error occurs. We tried already several things: starting the comsol servers from within the same SSH window, starting the comsol servers within several SSH windows, … In COMSOL Multiphysics 3.5a, we got the following error: Licensed number of users already reached.

Hoping anyone can help us out of this, because we lose much time if we can just open one COMSOL Multiphysics screen at a time.

Kind regards,
Steven Delrue

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

September 21, 2010 2:48pm UTC in response to Steven Delrue

Re: license error

Hi

I believe this is rather to be solved by "support" or your local rep.

I'm on a fixed licence, and there I can run several sessions on my one PC, although that is only useful to create new V4 models from scratch and have another V4 or V3.5 open to do cut and paste of the many formulas I have in my physics.
I sometimes save the old file as a "m" file and cut therefrom, but often it takes longer to locate the different expressions due to model sizes

--
Good luck
Ivar

John

John

September 21, 2010 3:00pm UTC in response to Steven Delrue

This does seem to be an issue more appropriate for COMSOL support.

I don't have much experience with the client/server interface, but querying the license server (see the lmutil command on your server over ssh or use the LMtools GUI) may provide some insight as to where in the process the licenses are being allocated.

Also, I believe that COMSOL starts up in normal mode (taking a license, running calculations on the local machine) if it fails to connect to the server when trying to start in client mode. So you might want to check your connection/firewall settings/etc.

Cristian Picioreanu

Cristian Picioreanu

February 8, 2011 7:18pm UTC in response to Steven Delrue

Steven,

can you please tell us if you were able (and how) to solve the license problem?

I am asking because I have at the moment one Linux server license, CPU locked (not FNL, thus). I can open multiple Comsol screens in one user display, which is obviously handy.

Now, if I buy a FNL for several users, I would like of course that all users are able to open more than one Comsol screen. So, have you managed to do this?

thanks,
Cristian

Rules and guidelines