Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of thermal resistance of AlGaN/GaN devices

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to calculate the thermal resistance of an AlGaN/GaN based laser device. The sstructure contance n and p waveguides, contacts, cladding and electron blocking layer. The active region is the quantum well (3 QW, each having a thickness of 20 nm). All the layers contains different alloy composition of AlGaN (AlxGa1-xN; x= 0.15-0.72).

In reality, we need to pump 1.5 W of power in the active region. In my simulation I have designed the heat source with the pump power of 10e16 W/m3 (Calculating the volume of the device). And finally I saw a temperature rise of 14K in the quantum well with respect to heat sink. So its giving me a thermal resistance of 9 K/W.

• Is my way of desiging the heat source is correct?
  • What is the typical vlaue of thermal resistance for this kind of AlGaN/GaN based devices? Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post Sep 11, 2019, 4:58 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Riazul Arefin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.