Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL compatibility version 4.0 vs. 4.3

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have been using COMSOL 4.0 until recently (I know it's pretty old but I had no complaint with 4.0) for a microfluidic fuel cell application.

Two weeks ago, the license finally expired and I had to install a new 4.3 in my computer. So I ran an old case that was originally created by 4.0 version to see if there is any issues. The convergence was fine and it looked totally OK until I investigated the results: the currents produced were far off from what I typically got using 4.0. I double checked everything in my setup and could not find anything wrong. Basically, I didn't change any settings/parameters but simply ran the old case files in the new version. Here is a list of modules used in my model:

-. Secondary Current Distribution

-. Free and Porous Media Flow

-. Transport of Diluted Species

Has anyone experienced this weird behavior between different versions of COMSOL? Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Jin

1 Reply Last Post Mar 14, 2013, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2013, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Hi

I never rerun older version, but I build them up fresh in the new version. Furtherore I rather trust the later versions, until proven the contrary ;)

For me this is particularly the case for a "0" subrelease as these tend to be not that stable or have some typos in them this is ageneral rule I apply to all my software in use

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I never rerun older version, but I build them up fresh in the new version. Furtherore I rather trust the later versions, until proven the contrary ;) For me this is particularly the case for a "0" subrelease as these tend to be not that stable or have some typos in them this is ageneral rule I apply to all my software in use -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.