Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoresistive Coefficients

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I want to find out the sensitivity of my piezoresitive cantilver beam. In order to do that, based on the equations, I should have the piezoresistive coefficient (Pi-1):

Delta-R/R=(PI-1)*maximum surface stress

In the materiel properties of polysilicon i have a matrix for piezoresitive coupling factor which I believe should give me the coefficient that I need to use in the equation. However, there is a "sigma" parameter in that I do not know what is its value, since i did not define that.
Can anyone help me with this?
here is the matrix that is defined by comsol :

{58.8e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], -27.2e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], 58.8e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], -27.2e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], -27.2e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], 58.8e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], 0, 0, 0, 85.9e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], 0, 0, 0, 0, 85.9e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m], 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 85.9e-11[1/Pa]/sigma0(nd[m^3])[S/m]}

Best Regards
Bahar

3 Replies Last Post Jan 14, 2014, 7:52 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 11, 2013, 2:06 a.m. EDT
Hi Bahar

if you open up all the material nodes and sub-nodes you will find the analytical definition of "sigma0" (you might need to turn on the options preferences show advanced or all (COMSOL hides some of it's complexity ba default, I finally run with all open, much more fun and interesting to learn about ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Bahar if you open up all the material nodes and sub-nodes you will find the analytical definition of "sigma0" (you might need to turn on the options preferences show advanced or all (COMSOL hides some of it's complexity ba default, I finally run with all open, much more fun and interesting to learn about ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2014, 7:51 a.m. EST
Hello Ivar,

Do you know what this nd = (Number density) parameter represents.

the formula used for conductivity (Sigma0) looks like fitting function based on the electron charge (e_const).

Does (nd) refer to number of electrons (or free charges). Does it have any relation with the doping concentration defined in the piezoresistive or conductive parts?

Thanks
Mohamed
Hello Ivar, Do you know what this nd = (Number density) parameter represents. the formula used for conductivity (Sigma0) looks like fitting function based on the electron charge (e_const). Does (nd) refer to number of electrons (or free charges). Does it have any relation with the doping concentration defined in the piezoresistive or conductive parts? Thanks Mohamed

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2014, 7:52 a.m. EST
Hello Ivar,

Do you know what this nd = (Number density) parameter represents.

the formula used for conductivity (Sigma0) looks like fitting function based on the electron charge (e_const).

Does (nd) refer to number of electrons (or free charges). Does it have any relation with the doping concentration defined in the piezoresistive or conductive parts?

Thanks
Mohamed
Hello Ivar, Do you know what this nd = (Number density) parameter represents. the formula used for conductivity (Sigma0) looks like fitting function based on the electron charge (e_const). Does (nd) refer to number of electrons (or free charges). Does it have any relation with the doping concentration defined in the piezoresistive or conductive parts? Thanks Mohamed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.