Call for Papers and Posters
For the COMSOL Conference 2017
At the COMSOL Conference 2017, you have the opportunity to showcase your innovative uses of numerical simulation and custom applications in oral and poster presentations. After the conference, your published work will be recognized by an even larger audience worldwide.
Suggested Topic Areas:
- AC/DC Electromagnetics
- Acoustics and Vibrations
- Batteries, Fuel Cells,
and Electrochemical Processes
- Bioscience and Bioengineering
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Electromagnetic Heating
- Geophysics and Geomechanics
- Heat Transfer and Phase Change
- MEMS and Nanotechnology
- Optics, Photonics, and Semiconductors
- Optimization and Inverse Methods
- Particle Tracing
- Piezoelectric Devices
- Plasma Physics
- RF and Microwave Engineering
- Simulation Methods and Teaching
- Structural Mechanics and Thermal Stresses
- Transport Phenomena
As an oral presenter, you will prepare a presentation in PPT or PPTX format saved on a USB memory stick to bring along with you to the conference. Scheduled contributed presentations (including Q&A time) are to be 15 minutes each.
As a poster presenter, you will prepare your poster in advance, using the provided template. Deadlines for poster submissions depend on the event location you are planning to attend. Submitted posters are printed by COMSOL and will be on display throughout the entire event.
Posters submitted online, by the published deadline, may also be considered for the Best Poster Award.
Awards Selection Rules
By participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the sponsor of the Contest, COMSOL BV (“Sponsor”), which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Void where prohibited.Click here to read the full rules.
- Eligibility. Authors and all co-authors (if applicable) must (i) be at least 18 years of age, and (ii) be an authorized user of a valid license for the COMSOL Multiphysics® software, as defined in the applicable COMSOL Software License Agreement. COMSOL employees, COMSOL Certified Consultants and members of the Program Committee are not eligible.
- To Enter. (1) ) Submit an abstract for the Rotterdam location on or before June 30, 2017 for an oral presentation, poster presentation, or both online at the following address: http://www.comsol.nl/conference/abstract. Abstracts must adhere to the Abstract guidelines posted on the Sponsor’s website at http://www.comsol.nl/conference/call-for-papers. You will be notified by the Sponsor if your abstract is accepted. (2) If your abstract is accepted, submit a final paper and/ or poster in compliance with the Paper Submission Guidelines and/or guidelines in the Poster Template found on the COMSOL Conference 2017 website for the respective type of submission (“Work”) on or before September 15, 2017, or such other date as has been specified in writing by the Program Chair for the COMSOL Conference Rotterdam 2017.
- Selection Process. The Program Committee Members for the COMSOL Conference Rotterdam 2017 (collectively, the “Judges”) shall review each abstract and score the work using the Judging Criteria described below. The Program Committee will consist of approximately 30-40 individuals selected by Sponsor based on their education and experience in their respective scientific fields in which the COMSOL Multiphysics® software is used. Those individuals will be identified on Sponsor’s website at http://www.comsol.nl/conference/call-for-papers. Then, Gerard Hegemans, Managing Director of COMSOL BV, Tycho van Noorden, Program Chair and Application Engineer of COMSOL BV, and Valerio Marra, Marketing Director of COMSOL, Inc., shall review all Work for each of the paper and poster categories and shall select three (3) Works in each category using the respective abstract scores assigned by the Program Committee Members, their own application of the Judging Criteria to the Works, and the Additional Considerations described below. The author(s) of the Works selected as the winners for each category will be announced at the COMSOL Conference 2017 Rotterdam on October 19, 2017 at the Postillion Convention Centre WTC Rotterdam, Beursplein 37, 3011 AA, Rotterdam, Netherlands. As a separate and additional category, the attendees at the COMSOL Conference 2017 Rotterdam will have the opportunity to vote for the winner of the Best Poster by Popular Vote. Each attendee has the option to cast one (1) vote to nominate a Work presented during the Poster Sessions at the COMSOL Conference 2017 Rotterdam on October 18-20, 2017. The winner of this additional category will be announced at the COMSOL Conference 2017 Rotterdam on October 19, 2017 at the Postillion Convention Centre WTC Rotterdam, Beursplein 37, 3011 AA, Rotterdam, Netherlands. COMSOL BV and its affiliates reserve the right to announce the names of the winners on their websites worldwide for any purpose.
- Judging Criteria. Each Work will be judged in four (4) equally-weighted categories (“Judging Criteria”) with a numerical score between 1 and 5, with 5 being the best possible score in each category. The total score will then be calculated for each Work. The Judging Criteria are: (1) Level of skill in use of COMSOL Multiphysics® software; (2) Originality of the work in the respective field and/or unique application of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software; (3) Completeness of the work including, but not limited to, validation of the model, images, graphs, and other results; (4) Usefulness and interest in the area of work. The Additional Considerations include two (2) equally weighted categories with a numerical score between 1 and 5, with 5 being the best possible score in each category. The Additional Considerations are: (1) Relevance of the subject matter of the Work to current areas of focus of the Sponsor; and (2) Potential of the Work to have broad impact on the COMSOL community. In the event of a tie, the Judges will select the winning submission by re-applying the Judging Criteria.
- Prizes. There is no cash value prize for this Contest. The winners will be presented with a certificate or similar item of recognition. If the winner is not present at the time the award is announced, the Sponsor will send the certificate or similar item of recognition to the address they have been provided by whatever means.
- Publicity and Privacy. By submitting abstracts, full length papers, presentations, movies, model files and other materials ("Contributed Materials") through this website or at the COMSOL Conference 2017 Rotterdam to Sponsor its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates (collectively, “COMSOL”), whether submission is made at this time or at a later time, you hereby grant COMSOL a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, and unrestricted license to use, copy, publicly display, and prepare derivative works of the Contributed Materials, in whole or in part, and to distribute the Contributed Materials and derivative works thereof, in whole or in part, as part of the COMSOL Conference materials and proceedings and otherwise. Such license includes the right to reproduce the Contributed Materials and derivative works thereof in hard copy or electronic form, to archive the Contributed Materials and derivative works thereof on one or more COMSOL websites and to distribute the Contributed Materials and derivative works thereof in any manner. You hereby represent and warrant that you have sufficient rights and/or authorization to grant COMSOL the rights provided herein, including authorization with respect to any Contributed Materials in which your employer has any right, title, or interest, and that none of the Contributed Materials infringes any intellectual property, proprietary, or other third party rights. You shall retain all ownership rights to the copyrights in the Contributed Materials and in view of the fact that the license granted to COMSOL is nonexclusive, there are no limits on your right to publish and distribute such Contributed Materials. COMSOL agrees that it will provide attribution for all Contributed Materials to the respective authors.
- Export Control. You represent and warrant that your participation in the Contest, such as any use by you of any proprietary materials you may receive, including, but not limited to, proceedings of the Conference, a Conference program, and course materials (collectively, the “Conference Materials”) and the COMSOL software programs (containing U.S. and European origin technology) shall not violate the export control laws of the U.S. or any other country. If requested, you agree to provide documentation regarding your residency and identity.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE CONFERENCE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE (EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF SUCH A PURPOSE) AND WARRANTIES ARISING FROM ANY COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE, AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES AND CONFERENCE MATERIALS IS WITH YOU.
- Limitation Of Liability. IN NO EVENT SHALL SPONSOR OR SPONSOR’S LICENSORS, PARTNERS, CONTRACTORS, OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THIRD PARTY CLAIMS AND LOSS OF PROFITS, DATA, OR ANY OTHER LOSS, EVEN IF WE OR THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, E.G., SPONSOR UNABLE TO REMEDY ANY DEFECT IN THE COMSOL SOFTWARE PROGRAMS. IN ANY EVENT, SPONSOR’S AND EACH OF SPONSOR’S LICENSORS, PARTNERS, CONTRACTORS, OR SUPPLIERS MAXIMUM LOSS, REGARDLESS OF ANY ACT OR OMISSION OF SPONSOR OR ANYONE UNDER DIRECTION OR CONTROL BY SPONSOR, SHALL NOT IN TOTAL EXCEED THE AGGREGATE AMOUNT PAID TO SPONSOR IN THE SIX-MONTH PERIOD PRECEDING YOUR CLAIM(S), AND FOR SUCH PURPOSES, ALL CLAIMS SHALL BE AGGREGATED. The remedies against Sponsor and Sponsor’s licensors, contractors, and suppliers expressly provided herein are exclusive and are in lieu of any other remedies at law or in equity. The fees and limitations of liability and remedies herein reflect the allocation of risk between the parties. This section is an essential element of the basis of the bargain between the parties.
- Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Sweden, without regard to conflicts of laws principles. Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of or in connection with this Agreement, or the breach, termination, or alleged invalidity thereof, shall be finally settled by arbitration administered by the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (the “SCC”). The Rules for Expedited Arbitrations shall apply to such arbitrations, unless the SCC in its discretion determines, taking into account the complexity of the case, the amount in dispute and other circumstances, that the Arbitration Rules shall apply. In the latter case, the SCC shall also decide whether the Arbitral Tribunal shall be composed of one or three arbitrators. The Parties shall keep all information, documentation, materials in whatever form disclosed in the course of such arbitral proceeding confidential and they shall be used solely for the purpose of those proceedings. The seat of arbitration shall be Stockholm, Sweden. The language to be used in the arbitral proceedings shall be English.
- Entire Agreement. This Agreement contains the entire understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter, and supersedes all prior, contemporaneous, and subsequent proposals, agreements, representations, and understandings, with the exception of the COMSOL Software License Agreement, which shall govern the use of any software made available during the Conference, and the terms of any agreement governing materials that you may submit to us for use in connection with the Conference. This Agreement may not be changed except as provided herein in a writing signed by you and us. No purchase order or any other standardized business form issued by you, and even if such purchase order or other standardized business form provides that it takes precedence over any other agreement between the parties, shall be effective to contradict, modify, add to or delete from the terms of this Agreement in any manner whatsoever. Any acknowledgment, in any form, of any such purchase order or standardized business form is not recognized as a subsequent writing and will not act as acceptance of such terms.
- Create or log into your COMSOL Access account and familiarize yourself with the My Conference web interface.
- Review the abstract submission guidelines for detailed instructions on how to submit your work.
- Click on the "Submit Abstract" button to submit your abstract(s).
- Review the full instructions for the author notification date, which is when you will receive an email indicating if your abstract has been accepted along with additional presentation details.
Publish your paper
All presenters, regardless of presentation format, are encouraged to submit a full-length paper. The full-length paper will be published in the online User Presentations Collection after the event.
Please review the paper submission guidelines and use the supplied template to prepare your paper. Upload your paper online through the My Conference web interface by logging into your COMSOL Access account.
Papers received by the deadline stated online and in the instructions should be submitted using My Conference and may be considered for the Best Paper Award. After this deadline, papers may be sent via email to the program chair directly up until the first day of the conference.
Abstract submissions will be reviewed by the program committee members. Accepted submissions may be presented orally or as a poster format.