COMSOL Multiphysics CFD Intensive Training (2 Days)
If you are looking for an intensive introduction to using COMSOL Multiphysics® for modeling fluid flow and heat transfer, this is the course for you. During the 2-day COMSOL Multiphysics® CFD Intensive Training course, you will develop a strong foundation for your future fluid flow and thermal modeling needs. We start at an introductory level, leading students through the essential steps needed in fluid and thermal simulations. You will learn how to simulate creeping, laminar and turbulent flow, heat transfer and fluid flow in porous media, multiphase flow, high Mach number flow, conjugate heat transfer, free and forced convection, as well as radiation.
To teach this course, we use a combination of guided hands-on, theoretical and practical lecture, and self-guided exercises. The goal is to immerse you in all of the main aspects of using COMSOL Multiphysics® and relevant add-on modules, so that you feel comfortable working with the software. By the end of the training session, you will know how to set up a fluid flow or thermal problem, choose the right boundary conditions, select appropriate mesh settings, and use the result visualization tools.
Day 1, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
The training course begins with a guided introduction to the graphical user interface (GUI) of the software using a CFD-related tutorial, so that you learn the key steps in the modeling workflow. In particular, we will walk you through the following:
- Using and understanding the key features of the COMSOL Multiphysics® architecture
- Importing and creating a geometry for analysis
- Best practices for meshing your geometry
- Setting up physics and solving the simulation
- Postprocessing results
After introducing the software and modeling workflow, the course will transition over to focusing on fluid flow and thermal applications. The following topics will be covered:
- Overview of the CFD Module and the Heat Transfer Module
- Setting up single-phase flow physics
- Non-Newtonian fluids
- Selecting the appropriate RANS turbulence models
- Conduction and convection heat transfer
- Multiphysics coupling
Day 2, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
The second day builds upon the training from the previous day with a focus on the modeling of fluid flow and thermal simulations. Advanced topics will also be covered, such as:
- Practical and theoretical aspects of multiphysics modeling and efficient solution techniques
- The math behind finite element methods
- Surface-to-ambient and surface-to-surface radiation
- Phase change processes
- High Mach number flow
- Particle tracing in fluids
- Preparing your geometry or CAD file for CFD analysis
- Meshing best practice for fluid flow physics
- CFD-related solvers settings
- Advanced visualization techniques
Some or all of the above topics will be considered, according to the length of the course and the interests of the participants.
This course assumes some familiarity with the basic concepts of fluid flow and heat transfer. Recommended prerequisite: COMSOL Multiphysics® 1-Day Intensive Training or COMSOL Multiphysics® 2-Day Intensive Training.
Pricing & Payment Methods
The price for this 2-day course is $1,295 per person.
- We offer an academic discount to those who qualify. The academic rate for this course is $750.
- A discounted group rate of $2,995 is offered for three attendees from the same commercial institution registering for this course. This discount may not be combined with any other offer.
- Commercial registrants who sign up for 3 or more consecutive days of training will qualify for 20% off their course fee. This discount may not be combined with any other offer.
We accept payment by credit card, company purchase order, check, wire, or direct deposit. For security purposes, please do not send credit card information via email. COMSOL will contact you by phone to confirm the payment information.
Mail payments or purchase orders to:
COMSOL, Inc. 100 District Avenue Burlington, MA 01803
Fax purchase orders to:
COMSOL, Inc. ATTN: Training (781) 273-6603