Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cluster and several jobs with just on licence

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Here is my problem : we have a cluster, and a licence for cluster jobs, which means for parallel computation on our grid. But today I wanted to launch two different jobs on two different nodes, and Comsol told me that I have only one licence (and not two).

I could understand that when I was working on my local computer and as the same time on the grid. But now the two versions are open on the grid, so I should b able to open them together.

Any idea on how to solve it?

ps : I launch the solving process like this :
I connect to the first node via ssh, then comsol batch my file. I let it run while I connect to the second node via ssh. I try comsol batch, but this one doesn't launch because of this problem of licence.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 9, 2010, 4:39 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2010, 4:20 a.m. EST
I had heard the same, and that's why I didn't buy the cluster license.

You can run as many simulations on ONE running comsol, and even if you have 300 CPUs you can not have 10 comsol instances x30 CPUs running.

That's a pity.

ps. I hope I got your question right.

--
Comsol 4.0a
Ubuntu 10.04.1
I had heard the same, and that's why I didn't buy the cluster license. You can run as many simulations on ONE running comsol, and even if you have 300 CPUs you can not have 10 comsol instances x30 CPUs running. That's a pity. ps. I hope I got your question right. -- Comsol 4.0a Ubuntu 10.04.1

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2010, 4:39 a.m. EST
Yeap, you got it right.

That's also a pity because I couldn't use the grid as I should. Comsol never manages to solve the solution properly if I use it on the grid.
Yeap, you got it right. That's also a pity because I couldn't use the grid as I should. Comsol never manages to solve the solution properly if I use it on the grid.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.