Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FEM.Fourier

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Bonjour tout le monde,

J'ai acheté il y a quelques mois le logiciel COMSOL. Il s'agit de la version 3.5a donc pas la plus récente. Je souhaiterais utiliser COMSOL pour réaliser la transformée de Fourier d'une fonction de trois variables (espace) et une de temps selon une direction (x par exemple). Le support technique de COMSOL me dit que je dois utiliser Matlab pour faire cela...malheureusement je ne possède pas ce logiciel et je ne l'ai jamais utilisé. Il y a pourtant dans Comsol une interface graphique très perfectionnée. Puis-je réaliser cette transformée de Fourier en utilisant l'interface graphique de Comsol ? L'immense partie de mon travail consiste à déterminer différentes transformée de Fourier de fonctions déjà calculées par Comsol.

Je vous remercie pour votre contribution

Clara

1 Reply Last Post Dec 21, 2010, 9:34 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 21, 2010, 9:34 a.m. EST
Hi
Clara, first the word is to stick to English on the forum, it's because there are many from far away not always mastering local languages, even if its difficult for many t write in English, we are not that regarding for the errors, so long we can understand each other (i.e. I get a lot of typos, my ethernet link must be slightly slow or crossed ;)

Now for Fourier transforms, I agree it's annoying but from my remembering 3.5a has no FFT by default in there, the word was/is to use matlab for such specific calculations. In v4.1 there are some fourier transforms possible but I havnt tried them out yet so I cannot tell how nor when they apply.

What you can do is to export your data as text files from the plots (now there were also some errors in the exported data for very large files with many columns, the data was interleaved, probably due to some buffer overflows so be aware, I motly ended up using EXCEL to patch back my data files.

Normally COMSOL is to solve PDE's, in which field are you interested in the FFT of the results ? Is it optics ?

Final advice, personally I prefer the new v4 interface, so if you will use COMSOL in the future, what I hope for you as it's really powerfull and fun to use, I can only suggest to get hands on the new version, there is enough to learn to get use to the COMSOL notation for all the maths/physics, no reason to have two very different ways to do things.

But "latest" version is neither not available for everyone, your institution must have a running maintenance contract to update.

--
Bonnes chances et amuse toi en Comsolant
Ivar
Hi Clara, first the word is to stick to English on the forum, it's because there are many from far away not always mastering local languages, even if its difficult for many t write in English, we are not that regarding for the errors, so long we can understand each other (i.e. I get a lot of typos, my ethernet link must be slightly slow or crossed ;) Now for Fourier transforms, I agree it's annoying but from my remembering 3.5a has no FFT by default in there, the word was/is to use matlab for such specific calculations. In v4.1 there are some fourier transforms possible but I havnt tried them out yet so I cannot tell how nor when they apply. What you can do is to export your data as text files from the plots (now there were also some errors in the exported data for very large files with many columns, the data was interleaved, probably due to some buffer overflows so be aware, I motly ended up using EXCEL to patch back my data files. Normally COMSOL is to solve PDE's, in which field are you interested in the FFT of the results ? Is it optics ? Final advice, personally I prefer the new v4 interface, so if you will use COMSOL in the future, what I hope for you as it's really powerfull and fun to use, I can only suggest to get hands on the new version, there is enough to learn to get use to the COMSOL notation for all the maths/physics, no reason to have two very different ways to do things. But "latest" version is neither not available for everyone, your institution must have a running maintenance contract to update. -- Bonnes chances et amuse toi en Comsolant Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.