Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

rectangular spiral coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I have modelled circular spiral coils placed at a distance in Z direction in 2-D and i calculated Mutual inductance by taking the help of MI and induced currents in a coil group application.Now i want to do for rectangular(or square) spiral coils.I have modelled circular spiral coils by taking 2-D axisymmetric and representing each turn by circle.I am not getting how to model rectangular(or square) spiral coils in 2-D.
I am new to comsol. i am thankful to someone who clarify my problem

6 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2016, 10:49 a.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 6, 2016, 11:24 a.m. EDT
Rectangular spiral coils cannot be modeled in 2D. This is a 3D problem.

DW Greve
Rectangular spiral coils cannot be modeled in 2D. This is a 3D problem. DW Greve

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 7, 2016, 12:49 a.m. EDT
Thank you sir for your valuable suggestion.
Still now i am thinking Rectangular spiral coils can be modelled in 2-D.Now i will try for 3-D.
Thank you sir for your valuable suggestion. Still now i am thinking Rectangular spiral coils can be modelled in 2-D.Now i will try for 3-D.

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 9, 2016, 2:31 p.m. EDT

by taking 2-D axisymmetric

I agree with the first reply. Seems like a 3D problem. About what axis of rotation do you think your square coil and associated fields are symmetric?

[QUOTE] by taking 2-D axisymmetric [/QUOTE] I agree with the first reply. Seems like a 3D problem. About what axis of rotation do you think your square coil and associated fields are symmetric?

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 14, 2016, 8:43 a.m. EDT
about Z axis coils are symmetric and placed at a distance apart
about Z axis coils are symmetric and placed at a distance apart

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 14, 2016, 3:20 p.m. EDT
Hi,

You might find the following Application Gallery collection of 3D Coils in COMSOL useful here.
www.comsol.com/model/3d-coil-types-in-comsol-multiphysics-42431

For a 2D surface coils in 3D geometry, the following example might be helpful.
www.comsol.com/model/modeling-a-spiral-inductor-coil-21271

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, You might find the following Application Gallery collection of 3D Coils in COMSOL useful here. https://www.comsol.com/model/3d-coil-types-in-comsol-multiphysics-42431 For a 2D surface coils in 3D geometry, the following example might be helpful. https://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-a-spiral-inductor-coil-21271 Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 17, 2016, 10:49 a.m. EDT
Hi sir
thank you so much for your reply
Hi sir thank you so much for your reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.