Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

default material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
When I want to add the material to the design, automatically relative permittivity, relative permeability and electrical conductivity values are asked. On the other hand, I just want to write refractive index value. I don't need these properties. How can I get rid of these properties of the material?

2 Replies Last Post Oct 12, 2016, 8:59 a.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 9, 2016, 2:40 p.m. EDT
Of course, they're all related. Check under the wave equation settings. There should be various options for the permittivity/conductivity model being assumed. I think you can have Im/Re or Er/sigma and maybe even optical index and some kind of loss parameter. (my machine's running a big study right now, so I can't look for you).

Failing that, you can always make parameters for these that are autocalculated from whatever you want to specify. But I do believe that optical index is one of the supported options (at least in the wave optics physics, if not the RF physics -- only COMSOL would sell you Maxwell's equations twice under different names).
Of course, they're all related. Check under the wave equation settings. There should be various options for the permittivity/conductivity model being assumed. I think you can have Im/Re or Er/sigma and maybe even optical index and some kind of loss parameter. (my machine's running a big study right now, so I can't look for you). Failing that, you can always make parameters for these that are autocalculated from whatever you want to specify. But I do believe that optical index is one of the supported options (at least in the wave optics physics, if not the RF physics -- only COMSOL would sell you Maxwell's equations twice under different names).

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 12, 2016, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much for the answer
Thank you very much for the answer

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.