Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modeling a magnet in 2D

Elizabeth Van Heusden

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I put a magnetic flux conservation on the magnet and then specified a BH curve for the magnetic field and when solved it does not plot anything for B, M, or H.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 12, 2016, 11:47 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Oct 12, 2016, 11:47 a.m. EDT
What version of Comsol are you running? I have attached a model in version 5.2a if that would help? You can then go in and modify the model as required...

Are you using the mf or mfnc interface? The attached is created with the mfnc interface, it shows a cylindrical hard ferrite magnet (Ceramic 8 material). It shows how to add the BH curve and apply it to the model.

Note that the equations for the Magnetic Flux Conservation node have been modified as follows:

mfnc.Hz would by default be "-Vmz", but I have changed it to "-Vmz-Hc" in order to account for the shifting of the BH curve into the first quadrant. (I have added Hc, the magnet coercivity, as a parameter in this model, taken from the BH curve data).

Also, note the definition of the Magnetic Flux Conservation node, it has a user defined expression for Magnetic flux density norm, "mat2.def.int1(sqrt(mfnc.Hr^2+mfnc.Hz^2))"

Non-linear permanent magnets are not straightforward to define in Comsol... it should really be a focus point for future versions.

If your material is predominantly linear (such as for rare earth magnets) then they are much more easily defined by a relative permeability and a value for Br in the Magnetic Flux Conservation node.

The Zero Magnetic Scalar Potential point is required for a model such as this to solve. I have also added infinite element domains to the exterior of the model to better calculate the far field values...

If anyone has a better way to define permanent magnets with a BH curve, I would welcome suggestions, but this is the way I have implemented it...

Let me know how you get on!

Mark
What version of Comsol are you running? I have attached a model in version 5.2a if that would help? You can then go in and modify the model as required... Are you using the mf or mfnc interface? The attached is created with the mfnc interface, it shows a cylindrical hard ferrite magnet (Ceramic 8 material). It shows how to add the BH curve and apply it to the model. Note that the equations for the Magnetic Flux Conservation node have been modified as follows: mfnc.Hz would by default be "-Vmz", but I have changed it to "-Vmz-Hc" in order to account for the shifting of the BH curve into the first quadrant. (I have added Hc, the magnet coercivity, as a parameter in this model, taken from the BH curve data). Also, note the definition of the Magnetic Flux Conservation node, it has a user defined expression for Magnetic flux density norm, "mat2.def.int1(sqrt(mfnc.Hr^2+mfnc.Hz^2))" Non-linear permanent magnets are not straightforward to define in Comsol... it should really be a focus point for future versions. If your material is predominantly linear (such as for rare earth magnets) then they are much more easily defined by a relative permeability and a value for Br in the Magnetic Flux Conservation node. The Zero Magnetic Scalar Potential point is required for a model such as this to solve. I have also added infinite element domains to the exterior of the model to better calculate the far field values... If anyone has a better way to define permanent magnets with a BH curve, I would welcome suggestions, but this is the way I have implemented it... Let me know how you get on! Mark

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.