Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ray Optics module : How to include opaque objects?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am trying to model the propagation of light in a system where there are light absorber (black metal parts), using the Ray Optics Module. However, if I assign an opaque material (such as copper) to an object, and set all its surfaces as Walls with the wall condition "Freeze", the Ray Optics solveer gives me the error that the index of refraction is not defined for copper; obviously it cannot be defined, since light cannot propagate through it.

How can I include objects with an undefined index of refraction in the domain of the ray tracing simulation?

Regards,
Louis H.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 2, 2016, 11:38 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 2, 2016, 11:38 a.m. EDT
I have figured out the solution and thought I'd update my thread for reference.

The only domains that need to be included in the Geometrical Optics(gop) physics interface are the domains through which light will propagate (so, dielectric objects such as lenses, etc.).

Mirrors, diffraction gratings, absorbers, etc. should have the proper Boundary Conditions set in the gop interface, but they don't need to be included in the domain selection.

This is explained in the "Domain Selection" subsection, "Geometrical Optics" section, "Ray Optics Modeling" chapter of the Ray Optics Module User Guide.

Regards,
--Louis H.
I have figured out the solution and thought I'd update my thread for reference. The only domains that need to be included in the Geometrical Optics(gop) physics interface are the domains through which light will propagate (so, dielectric objects such as lenses, etc.). Mirrors, diffraction gratings, absorbers, etc. should have the proper Boundary Conditions set in the gop interface, but they don't need to be included in the domain selection. This is explained in the "Domain Selection" subsection, "Geometrical Optics" section, "Ray Optics Modeling" chapter of the Ray Optics Module User Guide. Regards, --Louis H.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.