Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spatially graded index / graded material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

can anyone of you tell me if it is possible to define a graded index in comsol?
It seems as if sth. like this has been done in www.comsol.se/academic/papers/2871/
But how? Is it simply possible to use the coordinates as variables in the definition of global parameters for the dielectric properties?

This would mean, is just something like
parameter n
definition: factor * x
possible to achieve (simplified) a linear gradient of n over the geometric x dimension?
I would be happy about help.

Best regards

Arian

8 Replies Last Post Feb 21, 2013, 3:00 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2011, 6:59 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure I'm getting exactly what you need, but generally you can use formulas in all (almost) fields of COMSOL, so why not rty it out on a simple verifiable example. Then it should be OK for a complex one ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I'm getting exactly what you need, but generally you can use formulas in all (almost) fields of COMSOL, so why not rty it out on a simple verifiable example. Then it should be OK for a complex one ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 10:01 a.m. EST
Dear Ivar,

the complexity is not my problem.
I just wonder how to refer to a spatial variable like x, y or z (cartesian) in a formula for a parameter.
Do you know, where to search for an answer?

Best regards

Arian
Dear Ivar, the complexity is not my problem. I just wonder how to refer to a spatial variable like x, y or z (cartesian) in a formula for a parameter. Do you know, where to search for an answer? Best regards Arian

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 10:37 a.m. EST
Hi

there was a discussion, if I remember right, on one of the other treads (I'm seeing too many ;) with a reply from COMSOL I believe

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there was a discussion, if I remember right, on one of the other treads (I'm seeing too many ;) with a reply from COMSOL I believe -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2011, 6:16 p.m. EST
Thanks so far, I am still working on it... I found something but it did not really match my problems. I think, I will dive a bit deeper into this stuff. Unfortunately I find other people's results which must base on sth. like this but no explanation anywhere... but maybe I have simply not yet searched long enough. When I find a solution I will post it.

Best regards

Arian
Thanks so far, I am still working on it... I found something but it did not really match my problems. I think, I will dive a bit deeper into this stuff. Unfortunately I find other people's results which must base on sth. like this but no explanation anywhere... but maybe I have simply not yet searched long enough. When I find a solution I will post it. Best regards Arian

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Dear Arian,
I'm also interested about the RI variation profile as that of the the graded one. If you have got what you were looking for pls inform.

Best regards,
Partha
Dear Arian, I'm also interested about the RI variation profile as that of the the graded one. If you have got what you were looking for pls inform. Best regards, Partha

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 8, 2011, 3:48 p.m. EDT
I am also very interested. did you find a solution?

Thanks

I am also very interested. did you find a solution? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 15, 2011, 3:55 a.m. EST
You need to design several circles with gradient index. Or you can define the refractive index profile function for a core region.

SK Varshney
You need to design several circles with gradient index. Or you can define the refractive index profile function for a core region. SK Varshney

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2013, 3:00 p.m. EST
I'd figure it out and I'm posting it just for the record:

Expand the material node and create a function (right click) under the sub-node "Refractive index". After that, you can call the function inside this node by using the sintax:

functionName(param1, param2, ..., paramN)

hope this helps.

cheers,
--
Felipe BM
I'd figure it out and I'm posting it just for the record: Expand the material node and create a function (right click) under the sub-node "Refractive index". After that, you can call the function inside this node by using the sintax: functionName(param1, param2, ..., paramN) hope this helps. cheers, -- Felipe BM

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.