Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incident wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am new to COMSOL, i have been trying to do a simulation following a paper. The geometry shown in the paper is attached below. In this geometry as you can see the incident wave is coming from right side and from free space. I do not know how to incident a wave from free space. What i have been doing " I made a rectangular box around this geometry then set the port boundary condition on right side and scattering boundary condition on the remaining sides. However, i am not getting the desired result as mentioned in this paper. I have feeling that may be the way of setting the port boundary condition is wrong. But i do not know how to incident a wave from space as shown in the below figure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 2, 2016, 3:31 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 2, 2016, 3:31 p.m. EST
Consider using the "scattered field" formalism in the RF module.
In the Model Builder, click on "Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw)"
In the Settings, Solve-for, click on that and choose "Scattered field" instead of "Full field."
Now you can specify a "background electric field" as an incident plane wave.

I could go on, but that should be enough to get you started. The help system and example scattering models may also be of use to you. Good luck.

Consider using the "scattered field" formalism in the RF module. In the Model Builder, click on "Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw)" In the Settings, Solve-for, click on that and choose "Scattered field" instead of "Full field." Now you can specify a "background electric field" as an incident plane wave. I could go on, but that should be enough to get you started. The help system and example scattering models may also be of use to you. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.