Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotary contact + friction, large rotations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear experts,
as i´m quite new to comsol, i would kindly ask for advice here.
I need to study possible lock behavior of a butterfly valve when its housing gets deformed by some force or moment. The valve itself is a round plate welded on a pin that rotates about 70deg until closed and has bearings on upper and lower side. The problem is, as I found already in some older threads, that due to large rotation I get high stresses in parts that just rotate freely, such as valve plate itself. I tried with several different ways described in older threads, the best results so far was using parametric solver, of course I included geometric nonlinearity - which option, by the was becomes blended due to contact definition between bin and bearings. I also spotted that when plotting 2nd piola-Kirchoff stress directions the nonrealistic stresses disappears, but with increasing rotation parameter I get increasing stresses where the welding spots between pin and plate are defined, as well as progressively increasing reaction moment with increasing angle of rotation, even though there is no friction defined between pin and bearings. the rotation is defined through rigid connector on one side of the pin.
So I would like to know if such simulation is even possible in comsol, and if the way I set it is appropriate, because this part would be only second step after I define some loads in the first step to see what is the influence of deformed housing on rotation of the valve.
Regards,
Matjaz

0 Replies Last Post Nov 23, 2016, 2:19 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matjaz Fleisinger

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.