Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of displacement due to electrostatic force in CMUT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model a Capacitive Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer (CMUT) in collapse mode.
///////////////////
A CMUT is basically formed of 2 membranes, separated by a vacuum gap, and each of them are covered by electrodes; when a potential is applied to one of the electrodes while the other is grounded, they will be attracted to each other by electrostatic force and the membranes will therefore deflect depending on the potential applied - collapse mode is when these membranes finally touch one another).
//////////////////

To model this collapse, I implement a contact region in the geometry. The geometry is created with a 2D axisymetric model. The first file attached (see "Contact.PNG") describes the geometry used. I parametered the contact region. Regarding the physics, I used Electrostatics (es), Solid Mechanics (solid) and Moving Mesh (ale) to simulate a fixed, grounded membrane, attracting another membrane (already collapsed), which has a high potential. I also use the muliphysic effect Piezoelectic effect (pze).

My problem is that when I try to simulate the displacement of the membranes due to the electrostatic force, COMSOL gives me very odd results, actually out of the meshing area (see "Collapsed_displacement.PNG"). In this situations, only the "ring" (thinking 3D) not touching the lower membrane should be able to move. I'm far from being a pro with this software, so I don't have a clue about whats going on.
--
jpletendre

0 Replies Last Post Nov 24, 2016, 12:23 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello JP Letendre

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.