Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Line average

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I know that from "Results >> Derived values >> Line Average", I can average an expression over the line of interested.

In my model, I like to use Line average in the middle of a domain where there is no line to chose for line average. How can I define a line and use it for Line average?

Thanks,
Hamed

5 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2017, 9:33 p.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 31, 2017, 4:02 p.m. EST
Hello Hamed,
To avoid having to re-solve the model, after you add the line you need to use "Update solution" instead of "Compute". Then compute the line average the usual way.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Hamed, To avoid having to re-solve the model, after you add the line you need to use "Update solution" instead of "Compute". Then compute the line average the usual way. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 14, 2017, 6:00 p.m. EST
Thank you Jeff for the answer.

My question was how to define a line in the domain so I can select it in the line average?

Thanks,
Hamed
Thank you Jeff for the answer. My question was how to define a line in the domain so I can select it in the line average? Thanks, Hamed

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 15, 2017, 2:49 a.m. EST

My question was how to define a line in the domain so I can select it in the line average?

I suggest that you create a Cut Line data set.

[QUOTE] My question was how to define a line in the domain so I can select it in the line average? [/QUOTE] I suggest that you create a Cut Line data set.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 15, 2017, 8:51 a.m. EST
Indeed, Gunnar's solution is better than mine.
If for some reason you still decide to do it the way I mentioned above, just draw the line like you draw any line in COMSOL: in the Geometry branch of the Model Builder tree use a Polygon of the Open Curve type.
Best,
Jeff
Indeed, Gunnar's solution is better than mine. If for some reason you still decide to do it the way I mentioned above, just draw the line like you draw any line in COMSOL: in the Geometry branch of the Model Builder tree use a Polygon of the Open Curve type. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 22, 2017, 9:33 p.m. EST
Thank you Gunnar and Jeff.
Thank you Gunnar and Jeff.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.