Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal contact resistance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am trying to model the contact resistance of two conforming surfaces. There are apparently two options to do so:
1. thermal contact in the Heat Transfer in Solids package.
2. Pair thermal contact from the Physics menu in the ribbon.

The modelling equations are the same and I did not observe any difference. The documentation is also not clear on this point. However, to make sure, I'd like to ask if there are any differences between these two options.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Best

1 Reply Last Post Feb 1, 2017, 2:31 a.m. EST
Andreas Bick COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 1, 2017, 2:31 a.m. EST
Hello Mohamad,

The pair boundary conditions are different from the regular boundary conditions as they have to be applied to so called Identity Pairs. These pairs are created if you set the end node of the geometry sequence to "For Assembly" rather than the default "Form Union".

Check out the video here for more infomation about this topic:

www.comsol.de/video/form-union-form-assembly-geometry-finalization-methods

Regards,

Andreas
Hello Mohamad, The pair boundary conditions are different from the regular boundary conditions as they have to be applied to so called Identity Pairs. These pairs are created if you set the end node of the geometry sequence to "For Assembly" rather than the default "Form Union". Check out the video here for more infomation about this topic: https://www.comsol.de/video/form-union-form-assembly-geometry-finalization-methods Regards, Andreas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.