Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem converging a time dependent study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol community,

I started using Comsol few months ago. I aim to model the mixing by diffusion of two ionic solutions in a Y microfluidic junction (to eventually model precipitation of CaCO3). I am using the 'creeping flow' and 'Nernst-Planck' modules.

I started with a stationary study which converge. In the file attached:
-study 1(stationary): solve the flow (converge without problem);
-stydy 2 (sationary): step 1 solve the transport of ionic species (using the solution from study 1) while step 2 solve the equilibrium reactions (to model the speciation of carbonic speacies). The study converge.

However I have trouble when moving from a steady step problem to a time-dependent study. In the file attached:
Study 3 (time dependent): solve the flow, and converge without problem
Study 4 (time dependent): I attempt to solve the transport of ionic species (I disabled the equilibirum reaction for now) using either solution from study 1 (flow in stationary condition) or study 3 (time-dependent flow) but in each case the study fail to converge.

Any help would be greatly apreaciated.

Regards,
Thib

0 Replies Last Post Feb 12, 2017, 12:08 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thibaut Charpentier

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.