Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transmission Loss Simulation

Andy Trickey-Glassman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating the amount of sound pressure that is transmitted into a small piece of silicone that is surrounded by water. I am using the acoustic-structure module in the frequency domain, with water described by the acoustics module and the silicone described by the Hyperelastic module in Solid Mechanics. The study is executed in the frequency domain. My questions:

1. In order to find the pressure transmitted inside the silicone, I am using the solid.pm expression. I was wondering if this was the best way to do it. Once finding the average pressure inside the silicone, I divide it by the incident pressure magnitude to find the transmission coefficient.

2. Would it be better to use only the acoustics module and no solid mechanics?

3. I have successfully performed the study up to 1 kHz. After surpassing 1 kHz, the simulation spits out numbers that do not make any sense. I was hoping for an explanation as to why, if possible.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

1 Reply Last Post Feb 21, 2017, 9:36 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 21, 2017, 9:36 a.m. EST
Hi Andy,

I am answering your queries based on my knowledge:

Q1) Not sure.
Q2) I believe your approach is correct in using acoustic-structural interaction since your interest lies in the silicon itself.
Q3) This may be due to the mesh density that you are using. You could try a finer mesh and see if it is still giving you nonsensical results.

--
Regards,
Linus Ang
Hi Andy, I am answering your queries based on my knowledge: Q1) Not sure. Q2) I believe your approach is correct in using acoustic-structural interaction since your interest lies in the silicon itself. Q3) This may be due to the mesh density that you are using. You could try a finer mesh and see if it is still giving you nonsensical results. -- Regards, Linus Ang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.