Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Newbie] Syntax for gradients in a rotated coordinate system ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a 2D model where x and y represent easting and northing, respectively. Let's say I simulate a variable w on this map, then I can calculate its spatial derivatives by wx and wy or d(w,x) and d(w,y).

Now I would like to rotate this map by an angle theta, so I define a Rotated System (sys2) under the Definitions tab. How can I calculate spatial derivatives in the rotated system ? I tried with wsys2.x1 or with d(w,sys2.x1) but neither worked...

Cheers,
Christian.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 1, 2017, 10:02 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christian Wild

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.