Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Errors? in electric field norm calculations of electrostatics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I made a study of electric field norm calculation by volume integration in a model of a spherical dielectric kept inside a cube/cylinder both centered at origin. The potentials at top and bottom face of the cube/cylinder are set to 0 V and 1 V respectively while the sides of the cube/cylinder are set to have zero charge boundary.

First, I notice that the norm of the field (es.normE), volume integrated over all space must be divided by the total volume of the cube/cylinder to obtain a value close to the analytically correct value of norm of the field (|E|=|dV/dr|)

Secondly, I notice that even this value is slightly off after 1 or 2 decimal places. For example, when height of the cylinder is 1 the norm should also be 1 but I get something like 1.0096. These kinds of errors persist and increase as I increase the radius of inside sphere.

So, I would like to know if its possible to get rid of these errors.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2017, 10:08 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Danish Shamoon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.