Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shear and normal stress simultaneously

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simulate a rectangle where I want to apply shear and normal tensions simultaneously. I am trying to do a test where I introduce shear stress and normal stress in both of the principal directions.

First, I have tried with prescribed displacements (x and y directions) on all the edges but in the corners it doesn´t look like it is the best option as it might do strange things in the cornes. (Check the photo attached)

Second, I tried with rigid connectors. If I want only pure shear stress works perfectly. But when I introduce the normal stress in x and y direction (I did it by prescribing a displacement to the center of rotation in the rigid connector node). As it can be checked in the photo it makes also strange things in the corners. I tried also to do a rigid connector plus a prescribed displacement but one overrrides the other.

Is there any chance or any idea of doing it beacause it looks like the problem is in the corner points

Thanks in advanced
Best regards
Guillermo

0 Replies Last Post Mar 7, 2017, 6:15 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Guillermo Fernandez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.