Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incompressible Yeoh Model - Solid Mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm relatively new working on Solid Mechanics with hyperelastic materials in COMSOL Multiphysics.

I'm using Yeoh model. How can I simulate incompressibility conditions in this model? I have the 3 model parameters:

c1 = 17005.903 Pa
c2 = -73429.379 Pa
c3 = 414952.313 Pa

But I'm having problems to determine the initial bulk modulus in order to simulate incompressibility.

Any help would be appreciate!

Best regards,

Javier

4 Replies Last Post Apr 11, 2017, 10:51 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 16, 2017, 2:35 p.m. EDT
Hi Javier,

You make the material nearly incompressible by selecting a high bulk modulus. For a Yeoh model the initial uniaxial modulus is 6*c1 which in your case is 1e5. So if you select a bulk modulus roughly 2 orders of magnitude higher then it’s nearly incompressible. However, for your case, I would make it even higher since your Yeoh parameters define a material that stiffens significantly with deformation (because of the high c3 value). So I would use a bulk modulus of at least 1e8.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Javier, You make the material nearly incompressible by selecting a high bulk modulus. For a Yeoh model the initial uniaxial modulus is 6*c1 which in your case is 1e5. So if you select a bulk modulus roughly 2 orders of magnitude higher then it’s nearly incompressible. However, for your case, I would make it even higher since your Yeoh parameters define a material that stiffens significantly with deformation (because of the high c3 value). So I would use a bulk modulus of at least 1e8. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 16, 2017, 2:36 p.m. EDT
Here are figures showing the stress-strain behavior up to 10% logarithmic/true strain and up to 50% logarithmic/true strain.
Here are figures showing the stress-strain behavior up to 10% logarithmic/true strain and up to 50% logarithmic/true strain.

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 3, 2017, 6:03 a.m. EDT
Thank you so much for your answer. I will try your suggestion.

Best wishes
Thank you so much for your answer. I will try your suggestion. Best wishes

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 11, 2017, 10:51 a.m. EDT
Hello again

I have a new problem... I am doing a new 2D-axisymmetric model with two different domains. The first layer has the parameters I wrote before in my first post. How can I simulate incompressibility conditions (value of the initial bulk modulus) in the second layer if the parameters of this new layer are:

c1 = 32682 Pa
c2 = -295847 Pa
c3 = 1138050 Pa

It's very easy to solve this problem in ABAQUS for example, but not here in COMSOL...

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Javier
Hello again I have a new problem... I am doing a new 2D-axisymmetric model with two different domains. The first layer has the parameters I wrote before in my first post. How can I simulate incompressibility conditions (value of the initial bulk modulus) in the second layer if the parameters of this new layer are: c1 = 32682 Pa c2 = -295847 Pa c3 = 1138050 Pa It's very easy to solve this problem in ABAQUS for example, but not here in COMSOL... Thank you in advance. Best regards, Javier

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.