Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Segregated Solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have an interesting question here. I am currently working on a welding simulation and managed to get a solution for my problem. Now I took this solution as an initial solution using the same inputs like parameters, geometry, and mesh. My expectation was that the solution will converge after a couple of iteration because all segregated groups were by 100% after the first step, but not the segregated solver (see attached screenshot). So the solution time was approximately the same as for the simulation I used as an initial solution now. I made another file just to compare. There the solution converged in two iterations and using this solution as an initial solution, it converged in just one iteration, what makes sense to me :).

So does anyone know, what could be the reason, that for a more complex simulation this is not the case?

Btw. I tried also to make the mesh even finer and used again the already converged solution as an initial solution (for the more complex welding model). So now I wanted to solve the same problem on the new mesh, but the solver didn't converge. I really can not explain this attitude to myself. Will be really thankful for any help!

Best regards,
Antoni

0 Replies Last Post Mar 24, 2017, 6:13 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Antoni Artinov

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.