Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving magnets

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I am trying to model a simple situation: interaction of two round magnets depending on the distance between them. I have included Moving Mesh module and Magnetic fields, no currents module. The movement of magnets is set by the prescribed mesh velocity. Now I am experiencing two problems:

1) I cannot force magnets to move close enough because of the error of possible singularity. In other words, I cannot set the duration of simulation more that 1.1 seconds even though the magnets don't collapse.
2) There are holes in the resulting plots of the current positions of magnets. Moreover, the system draws equipotential levels of the scalar magnetic potential as if there are still magnets in their initial positions.

I am a beginner at COMSOL simulations, so, could anyone check if I simulate this simple problem correctly? I have searched for the answer around this forum but haven't found a proper answer.

Waiting for your help,
Michael.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 25, 2017, 11:49 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 25, 2017, 11:49 a.m. EDT
I think, I have found the answer to my second problem by myself: previously I set domains of magnets as Fixed Mesh domains, which was incorrect. Now, selecting those zones as Free Deformation Mesh, I have much better resulting plots.
I think, I have found the answer to my second problem by myself: previously I set domains of magnets as Fixed Mesh domains, which was incorrect. Now, selecting those zones as Free Deformation Mesh, I have much better resulting plots.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.