Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sharing Knowledge HPC Linux Comsol with matlab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo everybody,
i had a lot of problems to start my Comsol Simulation via matlab with an accurate cpu performance. It took me a lot of time to figure out what I was doing wrong. Therefor I would like to share my experience:
1. the usage of the MUMPS solver was three times faster than the PARADISO solver
2. if i used -clustersimple as an shell option for comsol, the CPU ussage was very strange. It seemed that the one job ran on every cpu at once (every cpu 100%) --> no sharing. When i compared the performance with an normal -nn 1 -np 16 start the Simulation was solved three times quicker as well.

My job had to be started via matlab. Therefore i used the following Shell-Script

#!/bin/bash -l
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=16
#PBS -l walltime=24:00:00
#PBS -N Testjob

cd $dir
module load matlab
module load comsol

comsol -nn 1 -np 16 server &
sleep 10
matlab -nodisplay -nosplash -nn 1 -np 16 -r "run('$dir/Simufile.m')"

regards
Florian

1 Reply Last Post Mar 28, 2017, 9:05 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 28, 2017, 9:05 a.m. EDT
If you got some experience too do not hesitate to share those in this post. I think a lot of people would be very gratefull
If you got some experience too do not hesitate to share those in this post. I think a lot of people would be very gratefull

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.