Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

import a geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I drew my geometry with autocad but I have the Linux version of Comsol which doesn't read .dwg . Therefore I converted it into a .stl file, which in theory has to be accepted by Comsol.

I also converted the file with the highest stl resulution available with autocad.

Unfortunatelly the result is very bad: strange surfaces and random holes, which I have never drown, appear.
I also tried to untick the "semplified mesh" options but the geometry is still corrupted.

Do You have any idea about how to solve this issue?

1 Reply Last Post Mar 29, 2017, 5:46 a.m. EDT
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 29, 2017, 5:46 a.m. EDT
Hi Domenico,

STL has a very different (lower) quality than DWG files. I would recommend saving the file in a real CAD format such as Parasolid, SAT or STEP.

Best regards,
Sven
Hi Domenico, STL has a very different (lower) quality than DWG files. I would recommend saving the file in a real CAD format such as Parasolid, SAT or STEP. Best regards, Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.