Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

convection with phase change

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey there,

I am trying to make a simulation of a melting process of a square of Parrafin 0.1m*0.1m fixed temperature of 1941K to the left wall and 1687 K (melting point of Parrafin) to the right wall. The material starts as a solid, so there would be conduction but then as it melts there should be convection in the liquid phase.

I was using the physics heat transfer in fluids (ht) and Laminar Flow (spf), whether it is correct? or I have to used another module.

Why laminar flow doesn't converge no matter what ?

Could someone please point out how I can resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Nesrine

3 Replies Last Post Apr 17, 2017, 3:04 p.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 16, 2017, 5:42 a.m. EDT

Hey there,

I am trying to make a simulation of a melting process of a square of Octadecane 0.1m*0.1m fixed temperature of 313K to the left wall and 303 (melting point of Octadecane) to the right wall. The material starts as a solid, so there would be conduction but then as it melts there should be convection in the liquid phase.

I was using the physics heat transfer in fluids (ht) and Laminar Flow (spf), whether it is correct? or I have to used another module.

Why laminar flow doesn't converge no matter what ?

Could someone please point out how I can resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Nesrine

[QUOTE] Hey there, I am trying to make a simulation of a melting process of a square of Octadecane 0.1m*0.1m fixed temperature of 313K to the left wall and 303 (melting point of Octadecane) to the right wall. The material starts as a solid, so there would be conduction but then as it melts there should be convection in the liquid phase. I was using the physics heat transfer in fluids (ht) and Laminar Flow (spf), whether it is correct? or I have to used another module. Why laminar flow doesn't converge no matter what ? Could someone please point out how I can resolve this issue? Many thanks Nesrine [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 16, 2017, 12:56 p.m. EDT
Nesrine
See this example. It is almost similar to what you are going to do.
www.comsol.com/model/tin-melting-front-6234
Amin,
Nesrine See this example. It is almost similar to what you are going to do. https://www.comsol.com/model/tin-melting-front-6234 Amin,

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 17, 2017, 3:04 p.m. EDT
Hi Mohamed,

think you i have seen your example, but my PCM starts as a solid and in yours the PCM is separated by layer (at t=0 there is two phases: solid+liquid)

unfortunately your example doesn't work with case

Can someone help me??

Lots of thanks!

Hi Mohamed, think you i have seen your example, but my PCM starts as a solid and in yours the PCM is separated by layer (at t=0 there is two phases: solid+liquid) unfortunately your example doesn't work with case Can someone help me?? Lots of thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.