Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Multiphysics Server - Change Port

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey Guys,

I'm currently working on an academic computer, using COMSOL 5.2a. I'd like to do some home computing using the Server-Client features, but the University's Network has blocked nearly all ports. There are only a few exceptions and I'd like to make the server listen on another port. Is that even possible? It automatically starts listening on Port 2036 and didn't find a way yet to change that.

Maybe someone's got an idea,
thanks in advance,
Philipp.

5 Replies Last Post May 16, 2017, 7:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago May 15, 2017, 4:39 p.m. EDT
Hi

Check the installation guide (pdf) and the COMSOL reference manual under "COMSOL commands".
But I would recommend to check first with your net/sysadmin, as it's not always "just" to open a port and use "any" port on the net.
And depending on the licence you have it might not be compatible

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the installation guide (pdf) and the COMSOL reference manual under "COMSOL commands". But I would recommend to check first with your net/sysadmin, as it's not always "just" to open a port and use "any" port on the net. And depending on the licence you have it might not be compatible -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago May 16, 2017, 2:52 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

thanks for your reply. I searched through the manual before but I didn't find any helpful information yet. There are many descriptions for setting up the COMSOL Server App which I don't use though.

I'm going to have a talk with one of our university's network's admin so I will see that I can do about that problem.

Sincerely,
Philipp.
Hi Ivar, thanks for your reply. I searched through the manual before but I didn't find any helpful information yet. There are many descriptions for setting up the COMSOL Server App which I don't use though. I'm going to have a talk with one of our university's network's admin so I will see that I can do about that problem. Sincerely, Philipp.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago May 16, 2017, 5:17 a.m. EDT
Hi,

This information is available in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, in the Running COMSOL Multiphysics chapter, under COMSOL Multiphysics Server Commands. You can use the option -port <port>, where <port> is the port number, to specify a TCP/IP port to listen for attempts to connect.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, This information is available in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, in the Running COMSOL Multiphysics chapter, under COMSOL Multiphysics Server Commands. You can use the option -port , where is the port number, to specify a TCP/IP port to listen for attempts to connect. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 7 years ago May 16, 2017, 6:25 a.m. EDT
Thanks alot,

that certainly will do :)
Thanks alot, that certainly will do :)

Posted: 7 years ago May 16, 2017, 7:23 a.m. EDT

Thanks alot,

that certainly will do :)

I just found the actual problem... It's not the ports blocking COMSOL. I guess I'm just doing someting wrong. The "Server" runs the program comsolmphserver.exe which I need the Comsol Multiphysics Client to couple with. However, I used the Comsol Client, which apparently isn't the same.
My initial intention was to only install the GUI (the client) on my personal pc and keep the actual Comsol Multiphysics program and license on the academic pc I'm working with. Is that possible? I had difficulties installing Comsol on my own pc, for I didn't know which boxes to uncheck in that case.

Could someone help me out?
Thanks alot,
Philipp.
[QUOTE] Thanks alot, that certainly will do :) [/QUOTE] I just found the actual problem... It's not the ports blocking COMSOL. I guess I'm just doing someting wrong. The "Server" runs the program comsolmphserver.exe which I need the Comsol Multiphysics Client to couple with. However, I used the Comsol Client, which apparently isn't the same. My initial intention was to only install the GUI (the client) on my personal pc and keep the actual Comsol Multiphysics program and license on the academic pc I'm working with. Is that possible? I had difficulties installing Comsol on my own pc, for I didn't know which boxes to uncheck in that case. Could someone help me out? Thanks alot, Philipp.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.