Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unstable Electric field in Time domain simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

What I am trying to do :

I have been trying to simulate a bowtie antenna structure in time domain. The operating frequency is around - 10 GHz and I have designed the antenna dimension according to that.

Boundary Conditions in Time domain :

I have selected boundary condition (PMC, PEC, SBC) on the side walls of the big air box. I have used excitation plane waves which is coming from the top of the big air box using SBC and the excitation plane waves E (1,1,0).

Problem I am facing with the Result:

In the result section, I am checking how the E-field at the center of the gap is changing with time (ns). The problem I am facing right now is - The electric field, E, at the center of the gap seems to be unstable (as you can see in the attached figure). It seems to be there is an amplitude modulation going on in E-field. Whereas, the expected E-field should be steady with time (pure sine wave).

I thought there might be an issue related to the reflection of the wave from the boundary of the air box. But since, the dimension of my air box is around 5*lamda (wavelength); therefore, I don't get the point why the E-field shows a standing wave pattern at the gap.

I would like to know why E-field in my model is unstable and how can I fix it? Please kindly let me know. I have been trying to fix this thing for more than a week. Please feel free suggest if you think the model can be improved by doing it in any other way. I have attached the my Comsol model for your convenience.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Regards,

4 Replies Last Post May 27, 2017, 1:09 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago May 26, 2017, 5:55 p.m. EDT
Rishad,

did you check the time stepping? It might be an aliasing effect.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Rishad, did you check the time stepping? It might be an aliasing effect. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago May 26, 2017, 8:20 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago May 26, 2017, 8:22 p.m. EDT
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your response.

Would you please kindly, explain the effect of aliasing due to time stepping. I know the concept of aliasing but how it relates to time stepping in the time domain simulation?

However, in my simulation, in time dependent solver, (given, f=10 GHz, lamda= 30 mm)

total time simulation = 2 ns (as you can see from the attached figure)
time step= 0.005 ns, (I set)
initial time stepping= 0.001 ns (I set)
maximum time step= 0.005 ns (I set)

Would you please kindly elaborate if this time stepping is leading the solution to aliasing effect, if so, then how can I fix the problem to obtain the correct solution ?

Thanks Edgar, I appreciate your cooperation.

-Rishad

Hi Edgar, Thanks for your response. Would you please kindly, explain the effect of aliasing due to time stepping. I know the concept of aliasing but how it relates to time stepping in the time domain simulation? However, in my simulation, in time dependent solver, (given, f=10 GHz, lamda= 30 mm) total time simulation = 2 ns (as you can see from the attached figure) time step= 0.005 ns, (I set) initial time stepping= 0.001 ns (I set) maximum time step= 0.005 ns (I set) Would you please kindly elaborate if this time stepping is leading the solution to aliasing effect, if so, then how can I fix the problem to obtain the correct solution ? Thanks Edgar, I appreciate your cooperation. -Rishad

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago May 27, 2017, 4:21 a.m. EDT

The time stepping with 20 steps/period seems ok. You can always test it by using a finer time step. You may have other temporal effects in the model since you generate a wavefront that probably gets reflected to some degree at the boundaries.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The time stepping with 20 steps/period seems ok. You can always test it by using a finer time step. You may have other temporal effects in the model since you generate a wavefront that probably gets reflected to some degree at the boundaries. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago May 27, 2017, 1:09 p.m. EDT
Hello Edgar,

The boundaries of the air box is at distance 2 lamda away from the antenna, how can I consider this thing as a reflection issue ?

How can I fix the reflection issue from the boundaries if there is any issue ?

Please kindly let me know.

Thanks,
Rishad
Hello Edgar, The boundaries of the air box is at distance 2 lamda away from the antenna, how can I consider this thing as a reflection issue ? How can I fix the reflection issue from the boundaries if there is any issue ? Please kindly let me know. Thanks, Rishad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.