Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use of spatial integrals in global equations?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've read that global equations will not accept position-based variables. Of course, calculating such integrals is no problem -- for some reason the just can't be put into a global equation.

So, if I have a definite integral (which seems to preclude the use of intOp since it can't take bounds), such as the integral from 0 to pi/2 of spf.T_stressy along part of a circular boundary, I can calculate that with a variable based on the integrate() function. But, I cannot then call that variable in a global equation. How can I get around this?

Also, perhaps I am not approaching this correctly at all (though knowing the answer to the above question would be useful regardless). The immediate problem is calculating the torque (or moment or shear stress or whatever -- I don't really care about the exact units -- I just need something appropriate to set to 0 in a global equation) created by a fluid acting on a circular boundary that moves within that fluid. I intended to do it by using sin and cos to sum the X and Y components of the stress at each angle. But, without being able to access definite integral results from a global equation, I can't figure out how to do this.

Note that the circular boundary has been defined as a moving wall, and while I'm not sure this is the problem, the normal structural mechanics forces that might be of use are all 0 (traction, reaction force, etc.), so this seems to constrain how I can approach the problem. I am purposefully not using the FSI module because this precludes treating the circle as a rigid body, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks,
James

0 Replies Last Post Jun 7, 2017, 9:58 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello James

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.