Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shear Piezos

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,,
I am having a problem with Base Vector system settings for a shear piezo plate that I am modeling to shear in Z and then at some time X directions (see the attached model) . The tutorials that I have found online are helpful except for the coordinate system settings. In the link below, I am referring to page 7 of the pdf file, I don't understand how the coordinates x1 and x3 are changed.
www.comsol.com/model/piezoelectric-shear-actuated-beam-24

How do I change the base vectors to achieve shearing in the X and Z directions. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Warm Regards

1 Reply Last Post Jun 15, 2017, 11:24 a.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 15, 2017, 11:24 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jun 15, 2017, 11:25 a.m. EDT
Possibly an easier way to do this is to define a rotated coordinate system (right-click Definitions) using the Euler angles. For your case they will be multiples of pi/2. Then under the settings for Piezoelectric Material you can select the rotated coordinate system.

A caution: it's easy to get confused with the Euler angles, it's a good idea to check against a hand calculation.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
Possibly an easier way to do this is to define a rotated coordinate system (right-click Definitions) using the Euler angles. For your case they will be multiples of pi/2. Then under the settings for Piezoelectric Material you can select the rotated coordinate system. A caution: it's easy to get confused with the Euler angles, it's a good idea to check against a hand calculation. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.