Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I optimize the Time-step in Time-dependent analysis

NDN UNIST/Mechanical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I am doing the Time dependent study for Particle Tracing for Fluid flow. But actually I am clear the value of Time-step.
If we consider two case of Time range as:
Case 1: range(0,1,10)
Case 2: range(0,0.01,10)

Both begin with 0s and end with 10s but only different by Time-step.

So, which value of time-step is better ? is more accurate ? And the result of simulation is same or different ?

thanks so much for your reading my topic

2 Replies Last Post Jun 22, 2017, 11:42 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 22, 2017, 11:40 a.m. EDT
There have been several discussions on this topic in the Discussion Forum. You will find them with a search.
One for instance that discusses the relation to tolerances and accuracy is this one: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/50111
See also this one where it is explained why the final time impacts the entire solution:
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101
Best,
Jeff
There have been several discussions on this topic in the Discussion Forum. You will find them with a search. One for instance that discusses the relation to tolerances and accuracy is this one: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/50111 See also this one where it is explained why the final time impacts the entire solution: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/108101 Best, Jeff

NDN UNIST/Mechanical Engineering

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 22, 2017, 11:42 a.m. EDT
Thanks so much, Dr.Jeff Hiller
Thanks so much, Dr.Jeff Hiller

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.