Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need your help regarding permeability estimation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Guys,
I am new to COMSOL and I need your help regarding the permeability estimation. I will describe my project below. (I have drew a simple picture that hopefully illustrate my project).
I have a metal support with 10,000 cylindrical holes and I want to test permeability of the metal support by flowing the air through the metal support, it is assumed to be laminar flow). I know it is unrealistic to draw all 10,000 holes, then do the simulation, therefore I decided to solve the problem by analyzing a unit cell since it is basically repetitive geometry. (I have attached my unit cell)
I did not use the porous media flow module, since it does not really reflect my geometry and my main purpose is to test the permeability of the metal support under the specific geometry I have.
My current problem is setting up the boundary condition. (I am basically using the Darcy's law which is k=porosity*viscosity*linear velocity*length/pressure differential, porosity, viscosity, L and delta P are known. I am using COMSOL to get linear velocity. In the laminar flow section, I applied the periodic flow condition so I can input the pressure differential and it asks me to specify the source and destination. However, since what I have is just a 2D cell which means only the entrance showed up, there is no way to specify them. (I know I must did something wrong)
Again, I am new to COMSOL, I really appreciate any guidance you could give to me and thanks for reading my question

0 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2017, 5:45 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eli Zhenh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.