Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

third order differential equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

It looks like COMSOL can not handle third order differential equation in Coefficient Form to solve Eigenvalue problem.

I would like to implement this equation:

d^3/dx^3

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Sanjay Prabhakar
Post-doc Fellow
Physics, Vanderbilt University

2 Replies Last Post Jul 1, 2017, 5:48 p.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 1, 2017, 4:48 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jul 1, 2017, 5:28 p.m. EDT
Sanjay,

To calculate the higher derivatives, you may define them as a new variable and solve them coupled to the other physics in your model.

To understand how to do this, see the following example by Marc Fernandez Silva:

www.comsol.com/blogs/plotting-spatial-derivatives-magnetic-field/

Hope that they resolve this issue in the newer versions.

Amin,
Sanjay, To calculate the higher derivatives, you may define them as a new variable and solve them coupled to the other physics in your model. To understand how to do this, see the following example by Marc Fernandez Silva: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/plotting-spatial-derivatives-magnetic-field/ Hope that they resolve this issue in the newer versions. Amin,

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 1, 2017, 5:48 p.m. EDT
Thanks Admin,

I think, I figure it out, how to implement third order derivative as follows:

In coefficient form, there is a term \Delta. (....+\gamma)

\Delta can be \partial_x and \gamma can be uxx (second derivative of u w.r.t. x). This gives "third derivative of u w.r.t. x.

Thanks for sending your paper and I will be reading your paper very carefully.

Thanks
Sanjay
Thanks Admin, I think, I figure it out, how to implement third order derivative as follows: In coefficient form, there is a term \Delta. (....+\gamma) \Delta can be \partial_x and \gamma can be uxx (second derivative of u w.r.t. x). This gives "third derivative of u w.r.t. x. Thanks for sending your paper and I will be reading your paper very carefully. Thanks Sanjay

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.