Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to simulate lamb wave in plate in comsol??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
How to simulate lamb wave in comsol??how i will get symmetry mode & antisymmetry mode.??
pls help

Regards!!

Deepak

9 Replies Last Post Nov 9, 2017, 7:39 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Deepak

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2011, 4:19 p.m. EST
Hi did u find a solution, I am trying to do the same
Hi did u find a solution, I am trying to do the same

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2012, 6:31 a.m. EST
Hi, even i'm finding it hard to implement this.
Let me know if you have found a way to work on this.

Regards
Glenston
Hi, even i'm finding it hard to implement this. Let me know if you have found a way to work on this. Regards Glenston

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 16, 2012, 4:24 p.m. EDT
Hello
did anyone find he way to create those wave lambs in aluminum plate?

I'm trying to do the same

thanks
Hello did anyone find he way to create those wave lambs in aluminum plate? I'm trying to do the same thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2013, 4:18 p.m. EST

Hi,
How to simulate lamb wave in comsol??how i will get symmetry mode & antisymmetry mode.??
pls help

Regards!!

Deepak

I know this isn't directly telling you how, but this is a paper that is open to viewing on google that demonstrates how to model a lamb wave in COMSOL. I am still trying to get mine to work properly, I seem to just be getting a low frequency wave right now, but this paper has been very helpful.

Also, to be able to see the wave modes, you can select "Probe Table Graph X" (X for the plot #) under "Probe 1D Plot Group X" and do a frequency transformation. You should be able to discern different frequencies. If not, you can probably load the data points onto a data file and run it in MATLAB in a spectrogram or through a filter.

www.comsol.com/papers/11002/
[QUOTE] Hi, How to simulate lamb wave in comsol??how i will get symmetry mode & antisymmetry mode.?? pls help Regards!! Deepak [/QUOTE] I know this isn't directly telling you how, but this is a paper that is open to viewing on google that demonstrates how to model a lamb wave in COMSOL. I am still trying to get mine to work properly, I seem to just be getting a low frequency wave right now, but this paper has been very helpful. Also, to be able to see the wave modes, you can select "Probe Table Graph X" (X for the plot #) under "Probe 1D Plot Group X" and do a frequency transformation. You should be able to discern different frequencies. If not, you can probably load the data points onto a data file and run it in MATLAB in a spectrogram or through a filter. http://www.comsol.com/papers/11002/

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 25, 2017, 7:01 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Did you get yours working? I followed the paper's steps but somehow couldn't get any modes, only see the deformation of the beam. Thanks.
--
xinyao Tang
Hi, Did you get yours working? I followed the paper's steps but somehow couldn't get any modes, only see the deformation of the beam. Thanks. -- xinyao Tang

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 25, 2017, 7:32 p.m. EDT
We have an old paper posted about this

www.ece.cmu.edu/~dwg/research/Waves25rev.pdf

However to get more help- you need to explain exactly what you want to do. If you are interested in transient simulation, the settings are significantly different for different versions of COMSOL.

As the original posting concerned the (rather ancient) version 4.1, I suggest you create a new topic citing your present version.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
We have an old paper posted about this http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dwg/research/Waves25rev.pdf However to get more help- you need to explain exactly what you want to do. If you are interested in transient simulation, the settings are significantly different for different versions of COMSOL. As the original posting concerned the (rather ancient) version 4.1, I suggest you create a new topic citing your present version. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 29, 2017, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Hi, i have comsol 4.4, but i want to build a ultrasonic wave propagation model, too. have anyone find a solution?If you have one, please share it. Thank u
Hi, i have comsol 4.4, but i want to build a ultrasonic wave propagation model, too. have anyone find a solution?If you have one, please share it. Thank u

Elangovan Yedesh Kumar

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 20, 2017, 10:42 a.m. EDT
Hi Everyone,

I looking to learn ultrasonic wave propagation in comsol. I want to excite S0 mode on the surface of the plate. Could anyone help how I can do it ? also help me what are the physics and boundary conditions i need to use? I am so confused with COMSOL. I am a beginner in it.

Also if possible kindly share some files to learn.
Hi Everyone, I looking to learn ultrasonic wave propagation in comsol. I want to excite S0 mode on the surface of the plate. Could anyone help how I can do it ? also help me what are the physics and boundary conditions i need to use? I am so confused with COMSOL. I am a beginner in it. Also if possible kindly share some files to learn.

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 9, 2017, 7:39 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Nov 9, 2017, 7:40 a.m. EST

Hi Everyone,

I looking to learn ultrasonic wave propagation in comsol. I want to excite S0 mode on the surface of the plate. Could anyone help how I can do it ? also help me what are the physics and boundary conditions i need to use? I am so confused with COMSOL. I am a beginner in it.

Also if possible kindly share some files to learn.

Hi,

As far as I know, S0 mode is a plate mode. It does not propagate on the surface of the plate. So I guess what you meant is to excite S0 from the surface of the plate? If you apply electrical field to the surface of a piezoelectric plate, depending on its thickness and material, you will get S modes of various orders. They can be "seen" from a dispersion diagram (obtained by taking the 1D Fourier transform of u3 at the plate surface. Remember to use frequency analysis. u3 depends on frequency and x1 position, so 2D array it is). A plate is a symmetric structure so A mode will not be excited in such context. However if your structure is not symmetric, you will also see A modes.

To excite only S0 there are several ways:

• Using an IDT at low frequency to excite the mode in a thick plate;

• Applying the diplacement fields (u1 and u3) of S0 mode to one edge of the plate. This you have to solve the wave problem in a piezoelectric plate and get the expressions for these fields. So it is a bit more complex than the first way.

Bests,

Ngoc

>Hi Everyone, > >I looking to learn ultrasonic wave propagation in comsol. I want to excite S0 mode on the surface of the plate. Could anyone help how I can do it ? also help me what are the physics and boundary conditions i need to use? I am so confused with COMSOL. I am a beginner in it. > >Also if possible kindly share some files to learn. Hi, As far as I know, S0 mode is a plate mode. It does not propagate on the surface of the plate. So I guess what you meant is to excite S0 from the surface of the plate? If you apply electrical field to the surface of a piezoelectric plate, depending on its thickness and material, you will get S modes of various orders. They can be "seen" from a dispersion diagram (obtained by taking the 1D Fourier transform of u3 at the plate surface. Remember to use frequency analysis. u3 depends on frequency and x1 position, so 2D array it is). A plate is a symmetric structure so A mode will not be excited in such context. However if your structure is not symmetric, you will also see A modes. To excite only S0 there are several ways: - Using an IDT at low frequency to excite the mode in a thick plate; - Applying the diplacement fields (u1 and u3) of S0 mode to one edge of the plate. This you have to solve the wave problem in a piezoelectric plate and get the expressions for these fields. So it is a bit more complex than the first way. Bests, Ngoc

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.