Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tutorial: Working between COMSOL 4.1 and MATLAB 2010b

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Ok, here is what I figured out in order to be able to take a COMSOL model, modify it in MATLAB and then reopen it in COMSOL for further work:

1. Launch COMSOL normally;
2. Launch MATLAB by using "COMSOL 4.1 with MATLAB";

In COMSOL:
- Saving your current COMSOL model into the COMSOL server:
a) File > Export Model to Server...
(Default settings: Server = localhost, Port = 2036)
Model = <filename> (Ex.: shell_diffusion)

(At that point, your COMSOL model is in the COMSOL server/buffer and is named "shell_diffusion")

In MATLAB:
- Loading your COMSOL model that you sent in the COMSOL server:
>> model = ModelUtil.model('shell_diffusion');
- Saving the file as a MATLAB .m-file:
>> model.save(<filename>, 'm'); (Ex.: model.save('shell_diffusion2', 'm'); )
(The file would be saved by default in the current working folder)
- In order to save the file in a specific folder:
>> model.save('C:\COMSOL_Models\shell_diffusion2', 'm');

(You now have created a MATLAB .m-file from a COMSOL file which you can edit and modify)
(I know, you could have just use the File > Save as Model M-File... option in COMSOL but I don't know how you could resend it to COMSOL that way)

- To save your modified model back into COMSOL:
>> model.save('C:\COMSOL_Models\shell_diffusion3'); (No specific file extension will save it as a .mph COMSOL file)

(You now have your COMSOL file back which you can reopen in COMSOL)

4 Replies Last Post Mar 3, 2013, 3:33 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2011, 5:07 p.m. EST
Hi

Thanks for the tutorial, always useful, will check it out tomorrow

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Thanks for the tutorial, always useful, will check it out tomorrow -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 8, 2011, 5:20 p.m. EST
I just forgot one thing:

- How to reload my modified M-file into the "model" in order to save it as a .mph...

Humm...inconvenient...

More to come later...
I just forgot one thing: - How to reload my modified M-file into the "model" in order to save it as a .mph... Humm...inconvenient... More to come later...

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2013, 8:48 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,
I have a problem linking Comsol to Matlab.
I have Comsol 4.3a, Matlab R2011b, and the Comsol with Matlab program that came with Comsol.
I opened both programs. Then I created a model in Comsol. If I try to access the client server to transfer the model, it says:" Timeout on Connection attempt."

I then tried to save the model as .m file and then open it in the server prompt, it says: "unknown source." Even if I try to manually save the model as .mph file and then reopen in Matlab, it says:"unknown source."

I've done all the necessary link commands in the beginning and they were accepted.
Please advise.

Thanks,

Fred
Hi Ivar, I have a problem linking Comsol to Matlab. I have Comsol 4.3a, Matlab R2011b, and the Comsol with Matlab program that came with Comsol. I opened both programs. Then I created a model in Comsol. If I try to access the client server to transfer the model, it says:" Timeout on Connection attempt." I then tried to save the model as .m file and then open it in the server prompt, it says: "unknown source." Even if I try to manually save the model as .mph file and then reopen in Matlab, it says:"unknown source." I've done all the necessary link commands in the beginning and they were accepted. Please advise. Thanks, Fred

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 3, 2013, 3:33 a.m. EST
Hi

Sorry but I'm no expert on Matlab to COMSOL liking. For me it works OK, but I had to reinstall COMSOL last time I updated Matlab. On the other hand there is a specal command in the COMSOl preferences to register matlab, I think, this should be done once, in case of problems.

Check the Knowledge Base (KB) there are a few entries, specifically for Matlab and COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry but I'm no expert on Matlab to COMSOL liking. For me it works OK, but I had to reinstall COMSOL last time I updated Matlab. On the other hand there is a specal command in the COMSOl preferences to register matlab, I think, this should be done once, in case of problems. Check the Knowledge Base (KB) there are a few entries, specifically for Matlab and COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.