Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency domain Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am working on the steady-state vibration of a simple 2D cantilevered beam. My question is like in other software we can apply load on a mesh when the model is a simple line segment. But it seems to me that Comsol only allows me to apply a point load to the boundary points. I know i can divide the line into different segments in geometry and that way get point. But is there any way i can rather apply the load on the mesh? In simple sentence, is there anyway for user to perform any operation which will make these mesh to be also recognized as points?

1 Reply Last Post Jul 23, 2017, 6:14 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 23, 2017, 6:14 a.m. EDT
Hi,

You cannot directly access the nodes.

You can however do something even more powerful: Apply a force at an arbitrary location irrespective of whether there is a node or not.

Do do that, you add a Domain Point Probe which measures the displacement at that point. You then add a weak contribution where you multiply the force with the variation of that displacement.

See the attached screenshots.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You cannot directly access the nodes. You can however do something even more powerful: Apply a force at an arbitrary location irrespective of whether there is a node or not. Do do that, you add a Domain Point Probe which measures the displacement at that point. You then add a weak contribution where you multiply the force with the variation of that displacement. See the attached screenshots. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.