Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Built-in variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently having problems when trying to plot shear stress on a line and on a slice plot in my 3D model.

When plotting along an edge in the geometry, I can select spf.T_stressy under Laminar flow, Auxiliary variables, Total stress from the drop down list of variables. However, when I try the same thing for a slice plot I am unable to select this variable (it doesn't appear in the list). I don't know why this happens and am wondering if someone can shed some light on the matter?

The way I've been getting around this problem is to use spf.mu*spf.sr for the slice plot, which I believe is the viscosity multiplied by the shear rate. This works but only plots the magnitude of the shear stress and when I compare values from the line plot with the slice plot the numbers do not match up in the way that they should.

It would be helpful to understand how exactly the built-in variables are defined and so far I have been unable to find any detailed information on this so if anyone could help explain these then that would be great.

Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post Aug 4, 2017, 6:59 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Lauren Hyndman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.