Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Memory Shape Polymers

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,
I found some relevant threads to Memory shape polymers but I posted a new discussion here as my question and need are somewhat different than posted threads. I know that COMSOL does not have a built in feature to simulate Memory shape polymer behavior. And to be more specific what I am looking for is not calculating stresses, I am aiming to show how the shape changes from an original shape to deformed and back to original under different temperatures. Or at-least the last step where I have a deformed polymer that when subjected to change in temperature will retain its original shape(and be able to see that in the graphics section).
I tried to employ the Generalized Maxwell model using the William-Landel-Ferry shifting function under solid mechanics> viscoelasticity and was able to see the stresses change due to relaxation, but when I changed the temperature in the final step the shape remained the same.
Any hints or comments would be very helpful. Its my first impression that a Generalized Maxwell model should be able to simulate the shape change in a Viscoelastic material. If that assumption is wrong it would be helpful as well to know that.
Thanks,

0 Replies Last Post Aug 10, 2017, 6:26 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Che-Hao Yang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.